thirteen

God, it sounds so ugly when you say it like that.
- Heather McNamara, 1988

Heather walked up as JD was escorted to his seat. She sat down after being put under oath.

"Ms. McNamara, how long have you known Veronica Dean and her husband?" Mr. Dimitri asked.

"I've known Veronica my whole life. But we only became friends in our senior year of high school. That was when she met her husband." Heather answered, fidgeting with her yellow nail polish.

"How would you describe Jason Dean?" He asked her. She knew her purpose, he was here for Mr. Dimitri to take down JD.

"He was quite unkind to Veronica when we were in high school." She answered.

"Now Jason Dean swears he's changed since then, do you believe that?" Mr. Dimitri asked.

"No, frankly, I do not." She told him.

"No further questions." Mr. Dimitri sat down, looking smugly.

"Ms. McNamara, have you ever seen anything that would confirm your suspicions?" David asked.

"No, I haven't." She answered.

"So you just assume my client hasn't changed because of how he was in high school?" David asked her.

"Ask a relevant question, Mr. Cohen." The judge warned.

"My apologies. Ms. McNamara, have you changed since high school?" He asked her.

"Yes, but-" She began to be cut off.

"Multiple people corroborated that you were a bully in high school but now you're a nurse." David stated. "So all you have to base my client off of is high school, correct?"

"Yes." She replied.

"You have never seen so much as a bruise on Veronica Dean since high school, yes?" He asked her.

"Yes." She told him again.

"And have you ever seen a single mark on the Dean children that would lead you believe that my client is abusing them?" He asked.

"No, I haven't." Heather told him.

"Then why do you continue to support the baseless narrative that Jason Dean is abusing his wife and children?" He asked her.

"All I have to go off of is what I've seen, Mr. Cohen." She defended her perspective.

"But you haven't seen anything, Ms. McNamara." David reminded her. "You are making false accusations based off your own opinions of Jason Dean. I have no further questions, your honor." He added, sitting back down as Heather got off the stand. "The defense calls Heather Duke."