3. Metaphorical Mountains

When Jordyn had told Auba to come back to the cafe the following day, it had completely slipped her mind that she'd booked the day off for an extra photography lecture in the evening. It wasn't until she walked into work a few days later that she remembered, and immediately felt guilty about it.

"Damn Lia, I've done something massively stupid," she sighed.

"You?" Never," Lia smirked.

Jordyn laughed.

"I appreciate the vote of confidence, but... yeah, listen, you know how I told Auba to come back tomorrow?"

"You didn't realise you took the day off? Yep. I know. Well done, idiot."

"Cheers for that," the Australian muttered, pocketing her phone, before tying on an apron, and beginning to clean the coffee machine.

"What are you gonna do?" Asked Lia. "Just hope he shows up again?"

"At least I'll know he's serious if he does," said Jord.

"That, or he really likes how you make white hot chocolate," Lia grinned, and when Jord gave her a look, "What? I wouldn't blame him, you make amazing white hot chocolate."

"You mean I make the best white hot chocolate," said Jord, with a smirk.

"Oh, and guess what? The owners are getting a grant! So no more crazy busy afternoons!"

"You what mate?" Jord chuckled. "Now go back to the beginning and start again. What owners? What's a grant?"

Lia sighed, but did as her friend asked.

"The owners, of this coffee shop, the one on Sunshine Terrace, which you happen to work at, have received a grant from the government for small businesses. So... they can pay for a new baker! She starts next week."

"Wait, they already hired?"

"A lot happens when you're not around, you know," Lia winked. "You wouldn't believe the people I saw in here yesterday."

"Wait, did you see Auba?" Asked Jord, turning to look at her. "Did he say anything? What happened?"

"Oh so NOW she's interested," Lia giggled.

She finished starting up the eftpos machine, and then picked up a cloth to wipe down the tables before they opened up. Jordyn eyed her expectantly, but Lia said nothing, humming away to herself and pretending to forget all about it. Jordyn sighed.

"I actually hate you."

"You better watch what you say to me if you want me to tell you!" Lia sing-songed.

"So you did see him!" Said Jordyn.

Lia was quiet again, and the Australian eyed her suspiciously.

"What?" She said at last.

"I just... I need to tell you something, it's kinda important."

Jordyn, who could never keep up with Lia's swift changes of mood anyway, simply nodded, jumping to sit on the bench beside her beloved coffee machine.

"Okay. What's up?"

Lia eyed her friend's precarious seat - she hated her sitting up there but at least she still had time to clean it later.

"So," she began. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you this before, I was going to, I swear, but..."

In that moment, there was a commotion outside the store, and Lia broke off as both girls turned to look at what was going on. Through the windows you could see two figures standing before the door. Voices could be heard, but not loud enough to be understood. The door rattled again.