6. Of Cupids and Thunder

"I have a question," said Jordyn, as she and Auba wandered down the tunnel of the empty stadium.

"Do you now," the Gabonese responded, glancing at her. He ran a thumb absently over her hand which was clasped in his own. Jordyn was shy, he knew, and she didn't ask him about himself very often, as if she was almost too scared to ask. "What do you want to know?"

Jordyn was blinking as they reached the end of the tunnel, and came out into the late afternoon sunlight that decorated the empty pitch. She said nothing for a moment, admiring the view.

"Wishing I had a camera," she muttered, and Auba chuckled.

"What was your question?"

"Oh, right," she said, turning to look at him. "Football. Is that your passion?"

"Yes," said Auba immediately. Jordyn raised an eyebrow.

"No hesitation," she said, shaking her head.

"I can't tell if you're impressed or if you're doubting me," said Auba.

"I'm impressed," she stated. "Most people have no idea what they're really passionate about. Sometimes, I still wonder."

"Is it not photography?" Auba wondered.

"I hesitate. That's how I know it's not."

"You're the most observant person I know," Auba shook his head, with a smile. "And yes, I'm impressed."

Jordyn laughed happily, turning back to the pitch.

"I want to run on it," she said, and it was Auba's turn to laugh.

"I know the feeling. Be my guest. I've just ran a full 90 out there though, so don't expect too much energy from me."

Jordyn had already taken off, and Auba chased after her, easily catching up within a few seconds. He caught her around the waist, and the Australian squealed in protest.

"That's not fair!"

Auba laughed, before setting her on her feet again.

"Sorry," he winked at her.

"What does 'ran a full 90' mean anyway?" She asked, with a frown.

"I played the entire game, I didn't get subbed off. Games typically take around 90 minutes, so..."

"Ah, okay," she nodded. "Makes sense."

Auba smiled at her.

"Jord, I... I want to ask you to be my girlfriend, but I don't want to freak you out if you don't wanna commit to anything yet," he said suddenly, the words tumbling out of his mouth almost before he could have stopped them. Jordyn turned to stare at him in surprise. "So," said Auba, breathing deeply, because there was no going back now. "Why don't you tell me if you want that before I ask you, and then I won't have to worry?"

Jord felt a smile creeping onto her face, her heart warming at his words.

"You are literally the sweetest boy on this planet," she said softly, taking his hand once again.

Auba sniffed.

"Ain't a boy no more," he muttered.

"Your maturity level begs to differ, although what you just said was pretty mature, I'll give you that. I appreciate you giving me time, Auba, I really do. I went through a couple hard break ups in the past, which is why I'm so hesitant to start anything new. But... I'm ready. I know I can tell you that with confidence, at least."