i need you

<< wow the last fic was terrible and this one's just flat out sad until the very end. anyways, have fun with the feelings i'm trying to yeet into this one. >>

How could it have all gone so wrong?

"Merlin," Arthur said, his voice flat and dead. "I hope you have a good explanation."

Merlin turned slowly to face his king, hands falling limp to his sides. "Arthur."

"Merlin." Arthur's hand found it's way to the hilt of his sword. He stared at the man he had called his friend, mind strangely blank.

"I— Arthur, I'm sorry. Everything I've done is for you. My magic is only for you," Merlin said, his voice hardly above a whisper.

The two of them were standing in the middle of the forest, facing each other. It was supposed to be a simple herb gathering trip to help Gaius make a cure. Merlin tried to go alone, but Arthur complained about constant bandit attacks, and said Merlin shouldn't go alone. Merlin said that Arthur was just going to complain the entire time, but the king still went nonetheless, and of course, complained just as Merlin said he would.

The only problem was the fact that the bandits that had attacked them were much stronger than they had anticipated. Arthur nearly died, as usual, causing Merlin to have to use his magic. However, he realized too late that not all of the bandits had run off, and as he levitated a sword and drove it through the threat to Arthur's life, the cry rang out.

"Sorcerer!"

And now they were here. Arthur, advancing on Merlin, demanding to know why the person he trusted the most had betrayed him.

"And how can I believe you? My father was killed by magic. How can you be trusted?" Arthur snarled, hand tightening on his sword. "Magic corrupts people. It's corrupted you."

Merlin took a step back, staring into Arthur's eyes, like he was looking into his soul. "How can you say that? How can you say that magic is evil, when you've known me for years?"

"It's all been a lie. I trusted you, Merlin! I thought you would be by my side 'till the end of the world. I—" Arthur took a shaky breath. "I thought we would grow old together, I as king, and you as my manservant— closest friend and advisor."

Every word Arthur said stabbed Merlin in the heart, shattering it to pieces. "Arthur—"

"Be quiet, traitor," Arthur said, taking another deep breath to steady himself. He felt anger racing through his veins, but it was already fading. He had to hear what Merlin had to say.

Merlin stumbled backwards a bit more, drawing Arthur's attention. "Where are you going?"

"I— I can't go back to Camelot. I know you don't want me there. Please, just let me leave and I promise I'll never bother you again," Merlin said, his voice cracking on every other word. Arthur could see how terrified he was, stepping forwards and reaching out with a hand to calm him, but that was the wrong move.

"Mer—"

He shrieked a spell, and Arthur felt his eyelids grow heavy, his arm falling down to his side. His legs trembled with the effort to stay standing, his brain hurting as he tried to keep his eyes open.

"It'll be okay, Arthur. We'll be fine."

With Merlin's calm, quiet words, Arthur collapsed to the ground, falling into the void of sleep.

<<+>>

Arthur woke up, but his limbs wouldn't respond. It took a while before he could feel his fingers and toes again, and open his eyes. He struggled into a sitting position, breathing deeply, staying still as his head swam, vision threatening to black out.