Chapter Three || Luke

"Ben?" I call out. It's scary quiet. I see him standing in the distance. He stands with his saber in hand. My bare feet against the ground in my sleeping trousers and comfortable wrap covering my chest. One minute I'm asleep and the next I awake to this panicked feeling. As I grow closer, I see him standing in front of his hut.

Master Luke lays under him crushed by rubble. My feet carrying me faster. He doesn't seem to notice me. He seems to be zoned out. "Ben!" I shout as I grab his arm. Reflexively his saber is plunged right through me. I cry out sitting up holding my stomach. Struggling to breathe. Master Luke entering my hut. "Y/n!" His voice worried. He sets down his staff and approaches me. I sob as he holds me close to his chest.

.

It's been a long time since then. Since Ben turned. The memory haunts me almost every night. I still can't believe what he did. Tried to kill Luke, killed everyone else at the temple, he wiped out a whole generation of Jedi. The cold look in his eye when he turned to face me after stabbing through me. The conflicting reaction to realizing he killed me. Only to leave me dying alone in the rubble. I'm very lucky Master Luke was there to save me. If he hadn't been there I would have died. He made the decision to give me some of his life force. Since then Master Luke and I have lived on an island on the planet Ahch-To.

Where the Jedi order was formed a long, long time ago. Master Luke has pulled himself from the Force and given up the Jedi way after losing Ben. He took it very hard on himself. It's not fair what Ben did to us. Betrayed the people who cared about him. However Master Luke has continued to train me but only a little bit. For the most part, we live in peace with the Lanai. Going through the daily motions. Fishing, milking, I help the Lanai's in some light farming. It's a humble and relaxing life. But I can't help but feel like I'm meant to do more. As the last Jedi, I feel as though I should be out helping the people of the universe. You know, defending the weak and helpless from the darkness. But alas here I sit levitating over a rock meditating while Master Luke observes before we go down and spearfish for dinner. "After all these years you still slouch every time." He chuckles pushing my back into place. "I'm sorry, Master." I apologize unable to hide the playful smile on my face. "Come on, focus. I want you to branch yourself out more this time. I want you to go deep. Really feel all the Force has to offer to you." He instructs. "Yes, Master."

I relax my body. "Be with me," I mutter under my breath. My mind and soul reaching out into the Force. Receiving more control each time. "Good. That's all for today." Master Luke's voice pulling me back after a few minutes. My butt softly pressing back down to the rock. He swiftly turns and begins walking away. Eager to get a move on. I clip my saber back to my side and follow closely behind him. "Master Luke," I call catching up to him. "Yes?" He asks. "Why can't we do more? I know that after Ben you've felt-." He cuts me off suddenly turning to face me. "Don't bring that up." His voice is stern and sharp. "But Master-." "No. Not another word about it." He turns back around storming down the path. "Sorry, Master," I mumble. I just don't get it.

The Jedi are meant to help and protect and fight against the dark side. I suspect that Master Luke is being overprotective of me. I am the only surviving student and I think he also fears me becoming persuaded by an evil as well. But he doesn't understand that he's wrong. Sure, having the love of my life, the man I trusted kill me has taken its toll on me, but I still have hope. I have hope that I can get out there and help. I want to be a force of good.

Master Luke doesn't know but I've seen where he hid the ship. I know where it is. Of course, I have contemplated leaving but I'd feel bad leaving Master Luke. I don't want him to feel that I have betrayed him like Ben. But the itch in me to set out and make a name for myself as a Jedi grows stronger each day. I force pull the stick back over after Master Luke has made his way across. I enjoy the small thrill every time of jumping across the large distance.

Master Luke and I carry out large fish back up to the village so that the Lanai's may prepare it for supper. The little women seem pleased with our catch and after they've prepared it, we eat, and Master Luke sends me off to bed.

Tonight is different. I wake with a quiet gasp. My heart pounding in my chest. I slowly stand. Something feels off. I don't know what it is. I step out of my hut. Catching movement out of the corner of my eye. The Lanai's aren't out this late. Somethings wrong. I turn and only meaning to catch whatever it is, I end up blasting it back against a rock. Master Luke rushing out from his hut. "Y/n!" He comes over. "What did you do?" He asks holding his torch up. A poor creature lays dead in front of me.

Luke moves to examine the creature's dead body. "I didn't mean to kill it," I explain. "I didn't know what was out here and I only meant to catch it." I hope he'll listen to me. He slowly rises turning to me. "I've neglected this for too long." He mumbles. "You seem to be a late bloomer when it comes to your powers." He starts. "I've always felt the power in you, but it's been very slowly leaking out. I fear that now it's beginning to pour out all at once." He places his hand on my shoulder. "Get some rest. I will work with you tomorrow." I nod. "Yes, master."