Chapter Five || Jakku

My cape fluttering violently in the wind behind me. The rain pouring down my face. My arm up in an attempt to shield my eye's so that I can see. I make my way down to the water where the ship hides. I move my arm out in front of me. Focus Y/n. Breathe. I take a deep breath and focus hard. My whole arm shaking as I lift Master Luke's old X-wing from the water. I set it down not so gracefully on the ground. I drop my arm and rush to the ship. It's very worn down from the time it's spent in the water. It might not even work.

I make my way into the pilot's seat. Vague memories of traveling here on this ship. I plop my wet butt down into the wet seat. Suitable. I set my bag down and flip through the controls hoping something will work. Only after kicking the broken control station did one light turn on. I eagerly flip the switch below it. This gradually kickstarting everything. "Yes!" I whisper yell. I sit back down and do the best I can at figuring things out. Once I manage to get it up and, in the air, I just take off. This is such a bad idea.

.

"Shit!" I groan out at the loud obnoxious beeping. The ground growing closer each second. "Come on!" I pull hard on the steering controls in a sad attempt to salvage this landing. At this point all I can do it try to not crash too bad and brace for impact.

.

Dry. My mouth is so dry. I sit up quickly. Sand rolling off of me and I cough some up too. "Ugh." I groan climbing my way out of my completely wrecked ship. I look around at the stretch of nothing around me. "What the hell do I do now?" I grumble dusting sand off. I raise my hand to shield the sun from my eyes. I huff and close my eyes sitting down in the sand. "Be with me," I whisper under my breath. I can feel it, the business, the noise, the people. I stand. I'm not far from the place. I can make it.

.

"No! I've told you before it's not for sale!" I shout holding my hand over my saber to keep it safe. "These parts from my ship are but not my saber!" I grumble shoving the parts closer to him. This place is a junkyard market. Trading scraps for food. I need to figure out my way out of here. I take the lousy payment of food rations and make my way back to the wrecked ship I've made my camp for now. Plopping my butt down in the sand out front of the wreck. I relax and lean back against the cool metal in the shade. I let out a deep sigh opening the ration making quick work of it after being here for a week or so. My eyes wandering off to look at the horizon. Why did I leave? What was the point of it? Recklessly flying an old ship through space with no experience. Leaving Master Luke behind to wallow in his self-pity. Betraying him just like Ben. I close my eyes reminding myself that this decision isn't entirely stupid. He lied to me. There's something about that story he's hiding from me. He told me he didn't have his saber, yet the Force is clearly reminding me he did. What did you do Master Luke?

.

Clipping my saber to my side I set out to return to camp for the day. A new collection of rations in my hand. I look to the sky at a ship in the distance. A sudden beeping not too far off. My saber in hand I rush over a large mound next to me to find a scavenger I've seen a few times with a small round droid in a net fighting against him. "Hey!" I shout rushing over. The man looking at me. I believe someone called him Teedo once. He fusses at me until I draw my saber. People seem to be pretty compliant after that. I cut the netting open with it and set him free. "Piss off Teedo," I grumble. He fusses a bit in his language and leaves us. The droid chirps at him angrily. "Shh." I hush his harsh words. "That's Teedo, he just wants you for parts. The people here have no respect for anyone." I explain watching Teedo slowly trot away. I turn back to the little droid. "Your antenna's bent," I note squatting down to fix it. "Where did you come from?" I ask as I straighten out his antenna the best I can. Poor little guy. He responds in his language of beeps that I somehow understand. "Really? Classified huh?" I prod readjusting the antenna back on his head. "Me too, big secret." I smile finally finished. "Now," I start as I rise to stand. "The Niima Outpost is that way. Stay off Kelvin Ridge. Keep away from the Sinking Fields in the north." I instruct patting sand off myself. "You'll drown in the sand," I explain preparing to leave. "However, you're welcome to accompany me." I offer, facing the droid. "I just came from town, but I'll be returning in the morning." I smile turning to lead the way. He follows merrily behind me in the sand catching up quickly. He thanks me in his little beeps. "You're welcome. Always happy to help." I reassure. He seems like a nice little droid.

.

I finish getting the front half of my hair up into a bun and splash a small bit of my water on my face. "Alright!" I call out to the droid as I exit the ship. "Let's get you to town." He beeps excitedly and we set out for town.

.

"Alright, little buddy." I turn to him dusting some sand off his head. "Don't give up hope. He might still show up. Whoever it is you're waiting for." I reassure, rummaging for the parts I brought in my bag. He beeps the same thing he did yesterday. "Classified too huh? Well, I know all about waiting." Waited for years to learn what happened that night. Now I have part of the picture but still not the complete truth. I waited a long time for Luke to properly train me. That was worth it. He beeps questioningly at me. "Well for starters, I'm an orphan so I've waited for my family when I was at an orphanage. I've waited for someone I loved to love me back. I've waited for the truth about something very important to me. I've waited for lots of things." I explain. "I'm sure I'll find my family and learn the truth one day." I hope. "Come on." I nod him to follow me to the market. "Let me see, these parts are worth one-half portion." He determines. "No sir, last time I brought these they were worth a half portion each." I remind slamming my fist on the booth. "What about the droid?" He asks taking note of my new friend. "What about him?" I ask, unsure of where he's going with this. "I'll pay for him." He offers. He piles portions on the table. I suddenly feel very hungry at the sight. "Sixty portions." I shake my head. I don't even need a moment to think it through. This is wrong. "No, he's not for sale." My voice clear and stern. I take my half portion and hurry away. "We've got to get out of here," I speak low to him. He beeps back at me. "What do you mean why? Sixty portions is a lot for a droid. He wants you bad and I have a feeling that if he wants something that bad, he'd be willing to take you forcefully."