(3) A Torn Open Teddy Bear

"Sev!"
     Severus' ears twitched at the call from somewhere downstairs. With a groan, he rolled over, burying his face in one of the soft pillows his Master had provided. His head bolted up. His Master had been calling for him!
     "Severus! I made us breakfast!"
     Harry had done what? Stumbling out of bed, the elf grabbed on to his dresser, fishing through before pulling out a robe to put over his shirt and sleep pants. He threw it over his shoulders, pulling his hair back as he rushed down the stairs, a hefty  frown on his brow.
     "Master, what have I told you about being up so early!" Severus scolded the second he was in the kitchen, crossing his arms as Harry turned back from where he stood in front of the stove, torso swiveled so he could look back at Severus. He was wearing a light, faded brown sweater, hanging loosely around him, tucked in to the waistband of his jeans. He looked comfortable, but what concerned Severus was that he was out of his usual sleep clothes; he was going somewhere. Forcing down the panic in his chest at the idea of his Master leaving him, Severus stood his ground. Harry gave him a smile, causing butterflies to erupt in the elf's stomach.
     "I just wanted to make you breakfast for once," Harry explained, going back to stirring the eggs. "Go sit down, and relax. By the way, Teddy's gonna be here later today, and he doesn't really understand elves, so um, can you call me Harry while he's here? I know it's in your instinct to call me by my er... title," Harry grimaced. He did not like the idea that he controlled Severus. "But will you be able to call me Harry?"
     Severus gulped, all thoughts of arguing over breakfast gone as, nodding, sat down at the table. He couldn't breath. He was not good with children. How would Harry react if the child did not like him? His Master adored that child more then he adored the sun. If Teddy didn't like him, would Harry leave him? Severus had never met Teddy; Harry would always go see Teddy at Andromeda's, not the other way around. He had been told stories, of course, as Harry talked of Teddy constantly after coming back from Andromeda's. The elf was so caught up in his own thoughts that he jumped when Harry pressed a kiss to his temple, causing them to awkwardly bump skulls.
     "Ack," Harry hissed, adjusting his glasses that had been knocked askew. Rushing up from his seat, Severus fixed Harry's glasses slightly, adjusting his sweater collar with shaking hands.
     "I'm sorry, Master, I'm so sorry," Severus stammered, hands trembling as he fumbled with fixing Harry's hair, sniffing slightly as Harry gently guided his hand away, holding both the elf's hands in his own.
     "Severus, breath. It's okay. I'm sorry I startled you," Harry whispered, running a hand up to gently rub Severus' bicep.
   Severus took a deep breath, straightening himself as he worked to keep his ears from drooping any further then they had.
     "It's alright Ma- ahem, Harry," Severus fixed. He would need to get used to that, especially if Teddy was going to be there all day. The elf gulped, praying to Salazar he'd keep his patience with the little beast. Oh, he could not fathom his Master's reaction if he dared to snap at that child!
     "You eat while I go pick up Teddy, alright?" Harry clarified, turning Severus around and sitting him at the table, scooting the man's chair in for him. "I'll be back in less then an hour."
     "But, you haven't eaten yet!" Severus argued, ears twitching in annoyance as his nose wrinkled. Harry rolled his eyes as he headed towards the door to the living room. "Harry!"
     "I'll eat when I'm back, Andromeda has some business to attend to today, so I really need to go get Ted," Harry explained, waving off Severus' concern. Scowling, the man picked at his food, as Harry left through the floo with a whirl of vibrant green.
     The elf decided to make himself useful after finishing his breakfast. Once finished cleaning the dishes that he used, Severus used dusting and cleaning charms around the house, straightening the throw pillows on couches, and fixing up the blankets on beds. The mid-morning turned to early afternoon, and Snape began to feel concerned. Harry had assured him he'd be back in an hour; looking at the clock, it had been three. The curtains swayed lightly in the wind, as Severus had opened the windows to let a bit of fresh air in. His mind was turning treacherously on him again. What if Harry was injured? What if he was sick? Maybe Harry no longer wanted Severus. They had agreed to take things slow, but Harry had told Severus to stop calling him Master. Was that his way of telling the elf he would no longer want nor need his care? Despite never knowing the child, Severus even felt a bit of anxiety for young Teddy. He hoped the small boy wasn't hurt. Harry loved that child so very much, he would he destroyed if the little thing was sick, or in pain.
     "Your presence is needed in the Auror Office, Snape," The voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt spoke behind him, causing the elf to wheel around, gaping at the shape of a glowing lynx behind him. He watched as it disappeared, heart thudding hard against his chest.
     Immediately, Severus rushed to the fireplace, grabbing a handful of floo-powder. Scattering at his feet, he bellowed, "Auror Office!"
     With a rush of green fire, and a sickening swirl, Severus found himself tossed before Kingsley Shacklebolt, who was pacing in front of the floo.
     "There you are!" He hissed, grasping Severus arm with wicked strength. "Of all people, you should be able to help." The Minister began to pull Severus down the hall, in to a quiet office, where Harry was sitting in a chair. A blanket was wrapped around his shoulders as he stared in to space, a small glass of water left untouched beside him. "He won't talk to anyone," Kingsley explained, pulling back of Severus as the man tried to rush to Harry.
     "Let me go, you overgrown-"
     "Hush, let me explain," Kingsley growled. "He found Teddy and Andromeda near death in their home. Andromeda was just pronounced dead, and little Teddy is barely hanging on. There was a symbol of a dead stag on the ground. We believe their deaths have something to do with it."
     "A revenge kill?" Severus asked quietly, looking grim. "Why them first?"
     "Easier target. A frail, old lady, and a young boy," Kingsley explained. "Both of whom were close to Harry. Be gentle with him, see if you can get him out of his shock. Calming draughts haven't done a thing, nor soothing ones either." The minister looked worried, brows pinched together, with his eyes wide. It was no wonder, too. Severus had never seen Harry look so defeated.
     "Oh, Harry," The elf whispered, slowly approaching as Kingsley let go of his arm. "Harry, are you alright?" Severus asked, kneeling beside the man. He felt suddenly stupid; of course he wasn't alright, his son had just nearly died. Summoning a chair over, Severus sat beside Harry, adjusting his blanket, jumping as the man's too-bright eyes fixed on him.
     "Sev," He breathed, reaching out with both hands shakily, like a child wanting to be picked up. Severus embraced him, listening as the man began to sniffle, then gripping his sweater-clad back tightly as a screaming wail broke from the human's chest. The ground shook with grief filled magic as Harry sobbed. "My-My baby, Sev. Th-They hurt my baby," He choked, magic rushing so fast through him that his nose began to bleed black, and eyes glow faintly.
     The elf leaned back, startled by the burning hot liquid he could feel against his shoulder, unable to hide his shock. Raw magic was dripping from Harry's nose and mouth as the entire ministry trembled with power. Cupping Harry's face in his hands, Severus leaned his forehead against the man's, praying to whatever deity he could think of that the man would find it comforting.
     "Teddy is going to be alright. I will see to it myself that the boy gets the upmost care," Severus whispered, tears running down his own cheeks at his Master's distress. The sight of him in so much pain was enough to bring Severus' to his knees, but he refused to give in. Harry needed him.
    The shaking in the floor began to lessen, the rattling walls quieting as Harry's breathing slowed. Encouraged, Severus began to stroke the man's cheek with his thumb, smiling softly.
     "Do you promise?" Harry whispered shakily, green eyes opening wide to stare up at Severus. "Y-You'll help me care for him?"
     "Of course, Harry. I will help you with anything you ever need," The elf assured, feeling relieved as the roar of magic quieted, Harry softly sniffling as he leaned his head against Severus' shoulder. "Now, let's get this cleaned up," Snape said in the kindest way possible, forcing himself not to grimace at the scalding heat of the raw magic on Harry. His hands began to shake slightly. If it was painful for him through his clothes, imagine what poor Harry felt like? Deciding quickly that a cleaning charm would be to dangerous to try, as it would simply add magic to magic, Severus pulled out a handkerchief from his breast pocket, kneeling as he wiped Harry's face. He bit his lip at the burning sensation, ears drooping in pain as he wiped away the magic.
     "Are you um, okay?" Harry questioned shakily, looking worried at Severus' expression. The elf nodded, placing the handkerchief back in his pocket with a grimace.
     "Simply worried, Master. I've never seen raw magic in the flesh, let alone coming out of someone," Severus explained, frowning as he helped Harry to his feet. Looking up to Kingsley with a grim expression, Severus cocked his head. to the side. "Can we go now? I'm sure Harry will be wanting to go and see his godson."
    "Of course. You alright, Har'?" Kingsley asked worriedly as Severus began to guide the man out. The elf bristled, about to retort, but Harry beat him to it.
     "I will be, Kings." Harry smiled up at the man. "I will be."
     "Well then, I'm gonna go soothe the others. No doubt they're freaking out over the waves of magic you just sent out," Kingsley chuckled, patting Harry on the shoulder. Severus felt every muscle in his body go taut as the man pulled Harry against his chest, holding him close in a comforting hug. His Master seemed to melt in to the cuddly man's embrace, laying his head against Kingsley's chest, as if listening to his heartbeat. Jealousy was not an emotion he often felt, but at that moment, it flared within him like wildfire. "You can always come to me, of you need me. I'll do my best to find whatever sicko did this, and bring them to their knees."
     Not long after, Severus found himself standing beside Harry, softly petting his hair as he sat at the bedside of young Teddy. The little boy's hair, usually bright blue, was a dusty, sad brown. Severus lowered his head, trying not to look at the wrappings around the child's eyes, covering where spell fire had ravaged his face.
     "They said they may be able to save his vision, you know," Harry murmured softly, rubbing Teddy's chest as he snoozed. "His right eye wasn't as badly damaged as his left."
     "That's very good," Severus assured, kneeling to take a better look at Teddy. He gently tilted the boy's chin, careful eyes scanning over his face. "It seems he has not lost too much blood, as there's still color to his cheeks. Little Teddy looks very promising, Harry." Unsure wether Teddy being there, asleep or not, still made Severus' forbidden to call Harry by his title, Severus played it safe. The elf's ears drooped as Harry softly adjusted the blankets for the millionth time, pulling them up to the boy's chin. "Harry, I... I think we should go back to the house. Sitting here and staring at the boy will not make him heal any faster," Severus pointed out, offering his hand to help his Master up from his seat. With a frown, Harry looked back down at Teddy.
    "What if he wakes up... and I'm not there. A-And he gets scared," Harry fretted, petting the child's hair. "Please, just a few more minutes with him."
   Severus held back a sigh of exasperation. He wanted today to be over, but he held his tongue. Harry was in pain; he needed him. The man always comforted Severus' when he needed it, and the least the elf could do was return that support.
     Those "few more minutes" turned in to hours, before they were ushered out by the mediwizards, who looked very concerned over Harry's lack of sleep. After all, he's stayed until three in the morning. Severus was near frantic, himself. Of course, he tried not to let it show, though the lowered, trembling ears gave it away anyway.
     "Harry, you need to go to bed," Severus demanded, hands shaking as he attempted to quite literally force Harry up the stairs. He felt wretched over ordering his Master around, but the idea of Harry staying up any longer made him feel far worse. "Please! Now!" Severus cried as Harry pulled away, instead choosing to pace in the living room.
     "Who could have done this, Severus?" Harry rambled, running his hands through his hair, stressed. He bit his lip as he paced, eyes wide. The man looked distant, entire body radiating exhaustion, but restlessness. "Severus?" Harry looked up, having expected an answer, pausing in shock as he met a wand, so close to his face it was practically brushing his nose. Severus was trembling violently, expression pained as his eyes filled to the brim with tears, but his aim was steady.
     "I don't want to, Master, but I will spell you to sleep if need be. You need to rest, right this instant," He snarled, eyes fierce as Harry gaped at him.
     "Severus," His Master began softly, and the elf could practically feel the man beginning to argue.
     Severus let out a whimper of pain, gritting his teeth as he whispered, "Brevem somnum." He caught his master as he collapsed, a small sob escaping him at the look of betrayal that had passed across the man's face. Just like Lily. He prayed with all he had that Harry would understand, and forgive him. Levitating him up the stairs, for he was too heavy to carry, Severus laid Harry in the Master's bed, tucking the thick blankets over him. He kneeled, running his hand over Harry's chest, reminding himself repeatedly that Harry truly needed the rest.
     It was tomorrow that Severus became truly afraid. His hands shook as he made Harry's breakfast, sparing none for himself. He felt too sick to eat; his Master would awake any moment. No doubt the man would chuck him on to the street. His breathing was ragged, but he still did his best to remain calm. If he just played it sweet, acted like the perfect elf for Harry, perhaps the man would not be angry. It would be degrading to be kind to even Kreature, as Harry adored the little beast, but it would make Harry happy. Severus ears twitched as he heard a small creek in the kitchen floor behind him, heartbeat spiking dramatically as he set down the pan, gripping on to the marble countertop. Against his better judgement, he turned around to look at Harry, refusing to seem cowardly.
     Their eyes met; Severus' own widened.
     "Master?" He breathed, slowly taking a step towards the bedraggled man. His eyes were red; he'd been crying. Guilt flooded Severus' chest. He should have been there for Harry! The elf gasped suddenly as Harry grabbed his collar tight. "Wait-"
     "Hush."
     Severus found himself silenced as their lips met.