(13) Unlucky.

((A/N: I got some amazing fannart (featured above) from @ProfessorSnape8 which is so freaking cool to me, I've never had anyone make art for me, let alone fannart, so please give them some love. (Note, I do believe they traced another piece of art/used a base, but I cannot find the original artist to give credit to.) Also, this fic just reached 5k reads, which is INSANE to me. Thank you all so much, I'm beyond thankful that you're all enjoying this. I'm gonna have to look up more ways to say thank you, I feel like I'm saying it a lot. 😅
!!WARNING!!: This chapter gets VERY violent and intense! Please take care of yourself, guys.))

   It was a warm day.
   That sweet, summer haze had Severus floating in a dreamlike state; not quite awake, but not entirely asleep. The sturdy arms around his waist, broad chest against his back, and oh-so-soft hair against his neck were too lovely to ignore. How could he fall asleep and miss out on enjoying this wonderous affection?
   Blearily, Severus forced his head up, squinting at the clock that stood proudly on the bedside table. It was five in the morning, and their meeting was not until ten. That thought sent a happy jump into his ears, causing them to practically slap Harry in the face, who leapt out of his skin behind Severus. So much for sleeping in...
   "Hmph-! Wha...?" Sitting up, hair disheveled and sticking straight up on one side, Harry reached around for his glasses, blinking rapidly as Severus took his searching hand, and used it to guide his Master into laying down again. He didn't put up much of a fight, instead he merely flopped back down on his side. "G'morning," The man mumbled as he resumed his previous snuggling, burying his face in Severus' neck, who had turned to face him. "Di' you need smthn...?"
   "No, my apologies, Master. I-It um, was not my intention to hit you," He explained as Harry nuzzled his neck. The elf felt incredibly embarrassed, though also rather thankful that Harry's half-awake brain would likely forget the interaction entirely. He'd always adored this version of his Master; half awake, warm, cuddly, and a bit helpless. The man would always let Severus do things for him while he was in that sleepy state, and it never failed to make Sev unbelievably happy. Reaching up, the elf massaged Harry's scalp, smiling at the way his Master practically cooed. "Do you want me to make you breakfast now?" He offered softly, still caressing the younger male's mop of hair.
   "Mhmmm," Harry nodded in agreement, causing a bright grin to spread across Severus' features. Indeed, he loved sleepy Harry very much.
   "Alright, Master, I'll go get started on that seeing as you're awake," The elf purred happily, rubbing circles into Harry's back as the auror yawned, and stretched. As he got up, Harry seemed rather reluctant to let him go, keeping his arms around Severus' waist for as long as he could before the elf was out of his reach.
   "Hmmm... Don't be gone too long," His Master pouted, shifting to lay on the warm spot Severus left in his wake, burying his face in the elf's pillow. Smiling, Sev pulled the blankets up onto Harry's shoulders, then headed down into the kitchen.

   On his way to go cook their breakfast, Severus went to every window and door in the house, checking to make sure they hadn't been tampered with, and checked the wards at least twice. Keeping his ears pricked for any sound, just in case, Sev went to the fridge, and picked out the ingredients for french toast, and chocolate pudding. There was a slight scrabbling, scratching thunk just outside the kitchen window, causing Severus to drop the bread, and pull his wand, aiming at the window with a snarl on his lips. Though, his face flushed when he realized it was merely a robin, who looked quite affronted by his display. With a sigh, the elf picked back up the bread, looking down at it as his ears twitched. Was this what aurors felt like? That constant fear, and desire to protect, so strong that it could drive you mad if not kept in check? Setting the bread on the counter, perhaps a bit too harshly, Severus ran a stressed hand through his hair, cringing as it yanked on the knots tangled in it. He could hardly remember the last time he brushed it. Lately, his thoughts had been overrun with fear for Harry; fear for his mental state (which couldn't have been much better then Sev's, he was just better at hiding it), fear of the cult taking anyone else from his Master, or even the cult taking Severus' Master himself.
    Shaking his head and scrubbing his eyes in a way he knew would make them red, but he didn't really care, the elf turned back to the task at hand; breakfast. It was time for him to make breakfast.
    Around an hour later, when the elf had completed their meal, Harry shuffled through the door, rubbing his eyes as Sev set their plates on the table.
   "Good morning, Master," Severus cooed, heading over so he could place a kiss atop Harry's head. "You look lovely."
   His Master's sweater was askew, hair wild, and pajama pants wrinkled. The man looked like the epitome of comfy, making Sev's heart soar. He was also giving Severus a rather disbelieving look.
   "Sure," Harry snorted, wrapping his arm around Severus' waist. "You made breakfast?" Looking at their plates of french toast, and little bowls of pudding, the younger man smiled, leaning in to Sev a bit more.
   The elf nodded. "I asked you earlier," He purred smugly, trying to hide his grin. He knew Harry was too out of it to remember.
   His Master blinked, frowning. "Uhh... you did?"
   "Mmhm, I asked you when you first woke up."
   "Oh, um, thank you," Harry said, though he looked thoroughly befuddled, rolling his eyes as Sev began to guide him to his usual spot, pulling out his chair for him. Plopping down in his seat, Harry motioned for Severus to sit too, who did so gladly, smiling as his Master pressed their feet together.
   "You're such a sap," The elf snickered, giving Harry a pointed look as the man dipped his french toast in the chocolate pudding, taking a bite. When he noticed Severus was watching him strangely, he shrugged, beaming at the elf.
   "It tastes good, don't look at me like that," He chuckled, choking on his food and beating on his chest to clear his airway, all while still trying not to laugh. Laughing while eating probably wasn't the greatest idea. Seeing as his Master was still struggling a bit, Severus summoned a glass, and some apple juicing, pouring him a cup full and heading to his Master's side, pressing it to his lips. He couldn't help but smile as Harry drank, reaching up to take the cup from Sev, only for the elf to swat his hand away gently. He wanted to care for Harry himself. Soothingly, he ran a hand through his fiancé's hair, setting his drink down seeing as his coughing had ceased.
   "Better?" Severus asked, still petting Harry's mane of hair, smiling as the man nodded, still smiling.
   "Woops," He mumbled, voice a bit hoarse from practically barking up his lungs.
   "Slow down, and actually chew this time," The elf jested, leaning down to peck Harry's cheek as his mouth fell open in fake indignation.
   "Rude!" The man laughed as Sev sauntered back over to his seat, going back to eating his breakfast peacefully, a content smile on his face, even as he glanced at the window, and back door, just in case.