Chapter Three- The Rescuers

When the room was finally empty, I opened my eyes.

I finally could sit up and stretch my tense muscles. Laying under a pile of wood still as possible for hours waiting for someone to happen across me was not exactly comfortable. But it always worked. Start with a demand for sympathy.

This time, a group of ragtag young adults about my age had found me. Immediately, I had noticed the dragons. The rumors were true. They had dragons— trained dragons— with them. My heart thumped in my chest as I thought about it.

The band had taken me to the village elder and healer, Gothi, who examined me, cleaned me up a bit, and found me 'miraculously unharmed.'

The first boy to find me, the one with a whiny, sarcastic voice who everyone called Hiccup, agreed to allow me to stay at his house for the time being before they fixed up some kind of small barn nearby. I had lost bits and pieces of the conversation when the group moved away from me, but it was easy to put the pieces together.

So there I was, cracking my neck and taking in the layout of Hiccup's room. I was on a bed, covered in a thick, wooly blanket, and there was a staircase leading down next to me.

Suddenly, there was a huff from a dark corner of the room.

I spun around to see a striking black dragon boring holes into me with his piercing green eyes in suspicious slits.

I glanced quickly back and forth, then slipped my legs off of the bed. The dragon took a step back.

Quietly as possible, I began to speak in his tongue, "Hello. My name is Runa."

The dragon's eyes flew wide, and he gawked, dumbstruck. For a moment, I thought he wouldn't respond. Then, his features softened just a bit, and he opened his mouth, "Toothless."

"You're a Night Fury, aren't you?" I whispered, daring a step closer.

"How are you speaking to me?"

"I know how to speak dragonese." I answered, then eagerly changed the subject. "You have beautiful scales, Toothless. I've never seen a Night Fury before, you know."

I again stepped closer, but this time, Toothless's nostrils flared, and he inched backwards. "You smell like a wild dragon."

Before I could respond, the door creaked open. A tall young man with flowing, brown hair entered backwards, holding a tray with a steaming bowl and a glass of water. I rushed back to the bed and threw myself under the covers.

When he turned around to see me awake, he jumped. "I didn't expect to see you up. How are you feeling?" I instantly recognised the voice of Hiccup.

I didn't respond, just pointed urgently at Toothless.

Hiccup frowned at the dragon. "I told you to stay outside. We don't want to scare her to death!"

He sighed, turning his attention back to me, and sat himself on the edge of the bed. "Don't worry about Toothless. He won't hurt you."

Toothless gave no hint that his name had even been said, and he instead fixed me with an intense stare, emotions unreadable.

Hiccup lifted the tray of food from his lap and slowly passed it into my hands. "It's soup I made. Potato soup. But be careful; it's still pretty hot."

As he spoke, my mouth watered, and my stomach ached. I yearned to smash my face into the bowl and devour the entire meal as I inhaled the enticing aroma, but, exercising a great deal of self-control, I lifted the spoon and slowly fed myself. I wasn't planning on eating it all, but the food tasted so heavenly I couldn't help myself. Almost immediately after emptying the tray, I felt my stretched stomach churn.