Chapter Four- Remodeling

Fishlegs and I spent most of the day together.

The kind, reliable boy was incredibly excited to meet someone from an obscure tribe. He asked a lot of questions, like I was some kind of mystery to be solved, to which I either answered in simple sentences or waited patiently as he went off on a tangent.

I quietly giggled at his jokes and listened to his random facts about dragons, and, though his constant questioning about my life made me slightly uneasy, I was too thrilled to care much. It felt like forever since I last had a conversation with another human.

Fishlegs, his Gronkle, Meatlug, and I ended the day in the library as Hiccup suggested.

There were indeed plenty of maps, but absolutely no sign of the Sea Salt Tribe. My mouth began to feel dry when Fishlegs took an interest in the phenomenon. He asked even more questions and had scourged the entire library in no time, searching for any lick of information.

Eventually, I ran out of ways to help him and couldn't break into his constantly shifting bubble of thoughts, so, at a loss for things to do, I sat next to Meatlug and began to rub her rough scales.

I bent over and whispered, "Hey girl, how are you doing?"

The dragon rumbled a content purring sound and rested her chin on my leg.

Suddenly, Fishlegs appeared next to me and handed me a few papers. "Can you scan these quickly for me?" he asked, his own nose wedged in a book.

I hesitated, but took the pages. I bit my lip.

Fishlegs suddenly dropped his book away from his face. "Something wrong?"

"No... er— I'm not very good at reading."

Fishlegs, looking surprised, blinked at me. Then, he seated himself by my side with a huge smile. "You came to the right guy!" He took the pages from me and let them fall over his lap.

Together, we bent over the words, and Fishlegs began to spill his knowledge eagerly.

. . .

The library doors flew open. I had been dozing beside Meatlug and leaped to my feet, suddenly awake. Fishlegs poked his head up over the shelves a few rows away, silhouetted in the dying sunlight.

Astrid entered, looking tired and dirty, but at the same time excited. Curious, I pulled myself to my feet and tilted my head.

"Come on, you two," she called. "Hiccup wants to see you."

. . .

I recalled a bit of suspicious behavior earlier in the day, but never would I have imagined, even in my wildest dreams, what came next.

Fishlegs and Astrid led me back to Hiccup's home, both acting a bit weird and whispering amongst themselves. I found my heart thumping a bit faster in my chest. I clenched my fists nervously around the edges of my fur cloak.

When we arrived, Hiccup and the rest of the group were gathered at the doorstep. They insisted I close my eyes. Immediately, I felt skeptical.

Hiccup must have noticed. "It's ok!" he urged. "I promise, you're really going to like this."

Thoughts I'd prefer not to have ran through my head, many of them planted by Ripjaw's anxiety. Stubbornly, I pushed them aside and allowed my eyes to slide shut. I felt a hand on my shoulder guiding me into the house and then straight out the back. We walked for a bit, everyone behind me giggling and whispering amongst themselves.

We entered yet another door, climbed some steps, and then Hiccup said, "You can look."

When I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, I was greeted by a peculiar scene. Before me was a bedroom— small but with enough room to move around comfortably. In the center, right beside a window with a magnificent view of the sunset, rested a small bed with tan sheets and a pillow. On the floor next to it was a simple dresser decorated with a vase of sweet smelling yellow flowers and a bowl of fire to light the room. The ceiling came to a point at the top, with two windows displaying a brilliantly blazing sky, and the wood floors below looked recently polished and swept.