Chapter Nine- How to Train Your Opinionated Dragon

Because the rain refused to let up and night was falling, we decided to spend the night there in the cave.

We all gathered around the fire, listening to the gentle tapping of raindrops as everyone took turns telling scary stories.

Sitting there among the group, I found myself the happiest I could ever remember being. I laughed more than I had in years. I even spoke more often than usual. Until finally, we all retired for the night, trying to find comfortable places to lay in the cold cave.

I laid awake as they slept, my eyes gently shut to fake unconsciousness. It felt like hours before finally, everyone's breath had stilled into the lull of sleep.

My eyes snapped open. Quietly as I could manage, I pulled myself into a sitting position and glanced around. All the riders were passed out, most leaning against their dragons.

I stood and exited the cave. The rain had stopped, leaving the ground muddy and soft beneath my boots.

"Ripjaw!" I called in a whisper towards the trees. "Ripjaw, are you there?"

Just a silhouette in the full moon's light, Ripjaw slithered from behind the leaves of a tree. He elegantly lowered his long body to rest beside me and blinked slowly.

"Let's do it now Ripjaw. I can pretend to train you here, on this island." I immediately suggested.

"Well 'hello' to you too," Ripjaw huffed.

"I'm serious." I insisted, glaring at him right in his eyes. "You could raid our supplies in the morning or something, and then I could pretend to find you and train you."

Ripjaw took a moment to look me over, searching my eyes. "You really think this tribe is worth all this?"

I hesitated for a moment. I bit my tongue, then shot a glance over my shoulder. From this distance, I could just see the cave. Inside slept the most accepting, generous vikings and dragons I'd ever met. I let out a long breath. "Yes..." I spoke softly. "It's worth it... and maybe if you come spend time with them, you'll see why."

Ripjaw shook his head and sighed. "Alright, Runa—"

Suddenly, something moved in the bushes.

Ripjaw froze.

For a few minutes, there was silence, and then Ripjaw backed away, whispering, "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

I could barely contain the smile creeping across my face. "See you tomorrow."

. . .

I surfaced from unconsciousness to the sound of rustling. I didn't sleep much during the night— there was way too much anticipation buzzing around in my head.

I was the only one disturbed by the sound. The riders and dragons were scattered around me, all fast asleep.

And there, just outside the cave, in the misty, grey, morning air, was Ripjaw, rooting through Snotlout's bag. We made eye contact for a second, and then he turned his back to me.

I jumped to my feet and scurried to Hiccup to shake him awake. He drowsily lifted himself upright, blinking the sleep from his eyes. "Runa? What's wrong?"

"Shhh!" I hushed him, then pointed sharply to the intruder.

Hiccup's jaw dropped. "Would you look at that..."

"Grapple Grounder!" Fishlegs suddenly squealed from beside us. "Look at that beauty!"

"That's the one, Hiccup!" I excitedly whispered. "I want to train him!"

Hiccup's face lifted in growing enthusiasm. "Yes, yes! Come with me."

He rummaged through his bag. Eventually, he pulled out a fish he packed for Toothless, and handed the slimy, scaly creature to me. I took it without hesitation. Slowly, as quietly as he could manage, he crept towards the mouth of the cave.

"Hiccup, I don't know if this is the best idea," Astrid, who also was now awake, butted in. "What's her tribe going to say when we bring her back with their worst enemy as her best friend?"

"We'll figure it out." Hiccup insisted distractedly. Astrid shook her head and crossed her arms.

"Hey!" Snotlout suddenly shouted, jumping to his feet and pointing at the dragon snacking from his bag. "Get out of here!"

Everyone awake collectively shushed him. Ripjaw spun around at the sound and bared his teeth defensively.

"It's ok, it's ok." Hiccup gently soothed him, holding his hands out. He spoke softly to me without turning, "Runa, hold out your hand, but don't make any sudden movements or you'll scare him."

I followed his commands, slowly lifting my hand, and he lightly nudged me in front of him. I continued on, and Ripjaw cocked his head back, nostrils flaring.

"Careful!" Hiccup's voice gasped behind me. "Now stop. Let him come to you and hold out the fish. Never lose that eye contact."

I paused in my place, and Ripjaw eyed the fish gripped in my hand. He sniffed it from afar at first, but then crept closer. Finally, he took a bite. He scarfed it down, and then I raised my now empty hand to him.

A long moment passed between us. We locked eyes. I could feel the hesitation in the dragon and could see the reluctance in his expression. My audience and I all held our breath collectively.

And finally, Ripjaw's forehead leaned into my palm. He felt warm to the touch, and I took the time to rub his smooth scales.

"Wonderful, wonderful!" Hiccup exclaimed, struggling to keep his voice from rising. "Now the hard part... you're going to have to try getting on his back."

I felt my body stiffen. I lingered there for a moment, and by the look in Ripjaw's eyes, I knew exactly what he was thinking. I had to try, though.

I maneuvered myself to his flank, past his wing, and he eyed me the whole way, as if daring me to try. I lifted one leg over him and...

Ripjaw reared back suddenly. I collapsed, and he pranced away, trotting deeper into the cave to dig through Hiccup's bag for more fish.

Hiccup took my hand and helped pull me to my feet, chuckling, "Well, you sort of trained him. Something tells me this one's gonna give you a bit of trouble, though."

I nodded. Something told me he was going to give me more than just a bit of trouble.

. . .

Ripjaw stuck to his promise. He never let me come even close to riding on his back. The rest of the trip to the Sea Salt Tribe, he insisted on carrying me instead in his talons.

So while everyone else rode on the backs of their dragons, hair whipping in the wind and with full control over the reins in a scene of grandeur, I dangled uncomfortably, desperately trying to keep Ripjaw on track without talking to him.

Once in a while, I would notice Toothless sending us suspicious glances. He had to recognise Ripjaw's scent.

The entire day, the atmosphere was heavy with promised rain, and it was freezing. The sky seemed to go on in a dull, grey blur for as far as I could see.

We continued to grow nearer to the Sea Salt Tribe, and my anxiety slowly took over me. I would have to really test my acting skills today if I was going to convince them the Tribe had been destroyed while I was gone.

When the island finally appeared through the misty sky, Ripjaw and I exchanged a glance. Who knew what the village looked like now, after so many years. The last thing I wanted was to see this place again— to be reminded.

I buried my face into Ripjaw's arm.