Sarada

I woke up to the sound of whimpering, and glanced around wildly to see what could be making the noise. I sat up, but was surrounded by darkness. I let my eyes adjust to the blackness and found Boruto curled into a ball, shivering and whimpering as he repeated the phrase "Me, not her."

He's having that damn dream again I thought reluctantly. Looks like Momsoketi won't leave him alone. I didn't understand why he had this dream as of twice now, but I knew I had to wake him up. I needed to get him awake and out of harm, as it hurt my heart to see him in pain.

"Boruto....Boruto...BORUTO!" I yelled, trying with no avail to wake him. All of my shaking only seemed to make him whine louder. His body must be recovering the lost chakra from his previous battle, so waking him up would be useless. I sighed in frustration, as I had no idea what to do, and I felt completely and utterly at a loss.

"Not her" he whimpered once again, and I felt myself soften and question what his dream was truly about. Could it be momoshiki, something else or both? Could it be something his fear manifests, or are the dreams real? I didn't know anymore. All I knew was that long ago, Boruto struggled with the idea that his path to one day save the shinobi. He felt trapped, and hopeless in what he was chosen to do. But overtime, as he got stronger and matured, he came to understand why he was so important, allowing what was in front of him to no longer haunt him. He knew what he had to do to allow the future shinobi a chance at survival. When the day comes for his fated fight with destiny and the Kara that threaten to end life as our village knows it, I know he will be ready.

But, that didn't mean it wasn't hard for him to risk giving up everything he loves up to follow what he has to do. Which includes me? I reflected as I resolved to come up with a solution. I must be the her. I would never let anyone suffer for my sake, especially not Boruto, who I loved with every fiber in my body.

I have to do something. I knew I could not allow him to be alone any longer. Alone! That's it! The source of these dreams must be the fear of being alone! I need to let him know I'm here to help him with whatever comes his way. I figured out as I saw him hug himself tighter.

Then, I did something that I never thought I would have the guts to do. I moved my body to lie in front of his, and then detangled his limbs from the tight ball that they currently were positioned in. I gently moved his arms around my own body, becoming something he could tangible hold. Almost reflexively, he pulled me closer to him and tightened his grip around me. I felt his muscle relax and no longer heard the constant stream of whimpering that had persisted from before. I took a deep breathe out and felt my own body relax, knowing he would feel alright, at least for a little while.