Chapter 11

i hid a lyric in this chapter. can you find it?

this one is hard so kudos if you get it

(hint: it's from the levanter album.)

enjoy~~

-------------------------------------------

All night, alone in the quiet darkness, I guarded Minho's room, watching the rain patter on the empty street, listening to animals rustle in the forest. It was heavenly to know that he was safe inside, sound, warm, snoring softly with his face buried in the pillow. My foot tapped against the side of the house, following his heartbeat.

At 3:34 in the morning, he started to toss and turn under the covers, tears welling behind his closed eyes. What'd happened? What had I done?

Oh. He was having a nightmare.

I slipped into the room without a sound. The smell of his blood was so strong. I held my breath and knelt at the side of his bed. My poor love was crying, trembling.

His hand was laying palm up outside the covers. I reached up slowly and held it. He stopped shaking. I smiled, relieved, and kept still so I wouldn't wake him.

He floated around in unconsciousness for a few more moments, and then his eyes opened. I ducked down where he couldn't see me. I didn't want to scare him — a boogeyman clinging to his hand, shrouded in shadow.

He fell back asleep a minute later.

This was weird. It was weird and I knew it, but I didn't feel it. I straightened out and peeked at him. Peaceful. Thank God.

I climbed back out his window and crouched on the sill, head bowed. I didn't move for the rest of the night.

~ * ~

The living room at home was empty, but I could hear my family's thoughts, their breathing, scattered in the garage and kitchen and bedrooms. I spoke loud enough that Hyunjin would hear me, wherever he was.

"Hyunjinnie, code yellow."

He bounded into the room, cracking his knuckles.

I curled up on the floor, and he sat on the couch behind me, clamped onto my shoulders and rubbed. I couldn't do anything except frown and stare out the open window. I listened to a couple of wrens' minds — surprise, surprise, just more chirping.

"Are they still angry with me?" I whispered. "Are you?"

"We were talking after you left. We eventually came to the conclusion that you're brainless and cute" — he pinched my cheek — "and we can't stay mad at you."

"You should hold me accountable."

"You made a mistake. People do that sometimes. I'm not mad at you."

"Thanks, bud."

"Jesus Christ, relax yourself." He gave me a few shakes.

"Ahh, stop. I'm sorry. I was sitting weird all night."

"What were you doing? Sewing messages into his clothes?"

"What? No, I was praying."

"Ooh, what were you atoning for? Envy? Pride? Lust?" He rolled the L next to my ear. "Lust is my favourite."

"I've always been partial to wrath." Seungmin strode into the room and sat in the comfy chair. "It's less of a sin and more of an art."

"Good morning, Seungmin," I said.