Chapter 25

story time! i wrote jisung's final chapter at about the same time as i wrote minho's (march of last year), and when i went back to edit it....... it was garbage. hot stinking garbage in a flaming dumpster and i couldn't use it. so enjoy this ot9 mess of a first hunt instead — it takes place right after minho wakes up.

hope you enjoy!

-----------------------------------------

My love was a human. He ate food, bite by bite, with a utensil. He scratched his nose and fidgeted and breathed without thinking about it. I'd never seen him do anything inhuman — apart from having the patience to love me back. He was flesh, blood, boney elbows, stubby fingers and flushed ears.

Now Minho sprinted forward, too fast to see, and nearly barrelled into a tree trunk. He did a wonky somersault and landed on his butt, but he was standing in a millisecond, looking back at us with something like shyness on his lovely face. Seven of us bit back laughter — Seungmin snorted and clapped his hands.

"Someone tell me what to do," Minho ordered. "I think I might pass out. Can vampires do that? I think I'm gonna pass out." He pitched to the side.

Hyunjin flashed over, picked him up, twirled him around. "You're so bad at this! It's adorable!" Hyunjin let him down, and he slumped to the mossy forest floor.

"You wanted to hunt, right?" Felix said, tapping Minho's leg with his shoe. "Get on up, fresh meat."

"Jisung, they're being mean to me," he called for me.

I crouched down next to him. "Do you feel okay?"

"I'm overwhelmed again."

"Why?"

"I could climb that tree if I wanted — straight up. That's crazy."

"I'll help you if you wanna climb a tree, my love."

"No, no. It's just tripping me out."

"Can I help you up?"

He held out his hands, and I pulled him up. His eyes were all I could look at, flaming red. That was tripping me out.

"You must be thirsty," I said.

He winced. "Yeah, but now I'm not sure if I'm ready. I made an ass of myself just there."

"You're learning how to move, it'll take time. Luckily, hunting isn't the same. It's instinct — once you have the smell, the taste, in your system, you'll be on autopilot."

"Maybe I don't want to be on autopilot. I'm supposed to hunt animals, right? How can I do that in good conscience — I'm an animal person."

"Were you a vegetarian when you were a human?" Jeongin asked.

"No."

"That's killing animals."

"It's called living in denial, Jeongin," Minho huffed. "What if I, like, eat a baby bunny in a crazy-murder-frenzy?"

"Then you better be ready for a wicked hairball," Seungmin said.

"Seungmin, don't scare the fresh meat," Haseong ordered.

"Don't worry, Minho," Changbin chimed in. "Eventually it isn't as painful, watching the life drain from their eyes."

Minho blinked.

Felix held his finger to Changbin's lips. "Babe, shh, you're not helping."

"And it's not that bad," I lied.

Minho grunted at the sky. "Can't I just kill humans? Humans suck, I wouldn't mind killing them."

Chan eyed Minho warily. "It's your choice in the end, no one will judge you."