Chapter 12

Minho waking up was bittersweet. On one hand, I'd see him again soon, conscious, get to hear his lovely tenor voice. On the other, I had to leave him, trust that he wouldn't spontaneously die while we were apart, wouldn't suddenly decide he didn't want to see me anymore. I missed the sound of a human heart once I was home with my immortal vampire family.

I sat at the piano, played and listened to them flit around. I could hear every step taken, word spoken, temple scratched and finger fidgeting. Chan was in his bedroom, modelling a lab coat in the mirror. Haseong was on the roof, evacuating the chimney — it had become home to a madness of marmots. Felix and Changbin were in their room, clearing furniture out of the way. They were going to attempt an ice skating move called the Detroiter on the slippery wood floor.

I heard Felix's socked feet scuff to a stop, hands tighten around his favourite tiger print chaise lounge. The vision wasn't long enough for me to tap into, and then his mind was locked up tight.

He let out a quiet "Shiiiiiiiiiiit."

Changbin skated over to him. "What happened?"

Felix pressed his finger to his lips, and I heard the air mixing as he pointed downstairs, at the piano, at me. I kept playing.

A minute later, Changbin ambled down the staircase, Felix hoisted high over his head. I guess they were trying to act normal, too.

"Going hunting, don't wait up," said Felix.

I swivelled on the bench to face them. "It's seven thirty, we have to go to school soon."

"Can a guy get the munchies without being probed please?"

I tried to read his odd mind. All I saw was a cluster of small holes — I flinched and nearly fell off the bench.

"Christ, Felix, you know I have trypophobia!" I was trying not to gag.

"Only way I could keep you outta my head, big bro."

"You saw something, what was it?"

He flapped his arms. "Step on it, babe."

Changbin marched toward the door. I ran after them.

"Was it about Minho?" I said.

"Maybe," Felix replied.

"Is something bad gonna happen in the meadow?"

"Not that. Look, I don't wanna get involved anymore. I don't wanna disrupt, y'know, time and space and shit."

"When has that ever stopped you before?"

"It's one thing to advise you on how to make a situation less awkward, less dangerous, etcetera." He dismounted, somersaulted and walked backward to talk to me. "But this is just screwing with the universe. If I told you, you'd wanna do something to prevent it, and I don't think — as a responsible seer — it would be a good idea to give you the means to do that."

"If I'd wanna prevent it, doesn't that mean it should be prevented?"

"Trust me, it's not that bad."

"But you won't tell me."

"Because you're gonna think it's bad."

"At least tell me when it'll happen."

"Today."

"And now tell me what it is."

"Zip-zip-zip." Felix locked his lips and gave the key to Changbin. He tossed it over his shoulder. "Go have a good day with Minho. Loosen up. Enjoy the ride, smell the pretty flowers. Think about what really matters. Practice patience. Be accommodating. And openminded."