Epilogue 3

switching perspectives again, we skip forward to chapter 23, seconds after minho is almost killed by a nomadic vampire...

TW: there's vampire fighting/killing/burning and gory descriptions in this chapter. be careful reading <3

(it's from seungmin's pov btw)

-------------------------------------------

This nomad — this puny, half-witted cur — had come this close to killing Minho. To killing my brother.

And now I was going to kill him.

Rage clouded my mind, venom dripped from my fangs as I dropped to all-fours, tore into the forest and rammed into him, sent us both bashing into a tree trunk. He got up fast, yanking me to the ground, and I grabbed his neck, forced him into a somersault and pinned him to the forest floor. My mouth was open in a spit-dripping snarl, raring to rip my teeth through his throat.

A little sound, like glass on glass, caught my ear. I glanced to the side and saw Jeongin in the field, the female holding him down, arm to his neck. The squeal of vampire skin splitting.

The half-second I looked away was long enough for James to know he had me in a weak spot. He punched me, his fist to my jaw, caught my hair and slammed me down. I clawed at him, legs kicking as he tried to straddle me.

"Die, valley girl," he growled, banging my head to the ground. He bent down, mouth opened wide to my throat.

Then he faltered, a gargling sound coming from his throat. He let me go, arms crushed over his stomach, as he pushed himself off me. He stumbled a few weak steps into the forest and fell to his knees.

I looked back to see Changbin, hands fisted, eyes hard on James' back.

"What are you doing?" I panted.

Changbin's lip turned up into a half-smile, a sneer. "His organs are failing. Or, at least, it feels like it."

I got up and walked over to James — he was balled up and crumpled on the ground. I grabbed his shoulder and yanked him onto his back. He was convulsing and gasping for breath, staring up at me.

I leaned down and tore his throat out — a sound like metal against rebar. His head snapped off, face frozen in a grimace. It had been painful. Good.

I spat his flesh out of my mouth.

I straightened out and turned to Changbin. We caught each other's hands and snapped our fingers as we pulled away.

I darted out of the woods, grabbed the female by her hair and twisted her head off. Her body fell limp. Jeongin shoved her to the side, got to his feet and wiped the dirt off my face.

"You okay, sweetie?" he asked me.

"Yeah, you?"

"She was no match." He paused and sighed. "For you."

"We should be with the others right now." Haseong dropped a severed leg. "I'll make a fire."

Hyunjin appeared with two sticks, gave them to Haseong and backed away. Hyunjin was afraid of fire — we all were, but his fear ran deep. Jeongin, Changbin and I stood in front of him as Haseong rubbed the sticks together.

"The worst case scenario just came true, didn't it?" Changbin murmured. "Killed by a nomad? Turned by one? Jisung's gotta be losing his mind."

"I'm losing my mind, too," Jeongin said. "Seeing him — Minho — hurt..."

"I was getting attached to him," Hyunjin whispered, shrinking into my side.

"We all were," I said.