Chapter 6

It was night. It was the time for Kartik to come back from office. Naira was getting ready in front of the mirror.

"I don't know if this is going to work out. But we cant remain like this forever, right? Someone should start. And I know Kartik wont start so its better that I do", Naira said putting some blush on her face.

Naira wore some bangles matching to her outfit and put an eyeliner on her eyes. She picked up the lipstick and was going to shade her lips that she put the lipstick back to its place, in defeat in the war against her thoughts.

"I can't do this", Naira said sighing in defeat. "What if Kartik thinks that I'm in a hurry and want to get things started...it will create a bad impression in his mind", Naira thought and stood up from the stool in front of the dressing table.

Just then, Kartik entered and was surprised to see Naira all dressed up.

Naira got nervous seeing him and started playing with her fingers. Kartik kind of ignored her and put his laptop bag on the bed and started opening his coat. Naira hurried towards him and handed him a glass of water.

Kartik looked at her and without thinking anything took the glass from her and started drinking the water. Naira turned back and started to walk that she got a message from Gayu. She checked her phone.

"How did it go? Did he compliment you? C'mon dude hurry up. I wanna listen to your first night experiences", the message said. Naira nodded her head in disbelief.

"You goin' somewhere?", Kartik asked her from behind.

Naira turned back to look at him. "N-No", Naira stuttered trying her level best to hide her nervousness and discomfort.

"Why would you ask?", Naira managed to speak bringing back her confidence.

"Nothing actually....you're all dressed up.  I thought you were going somewhere", Kartik replied placing the glass on the table and walking towards Naira.

"Oh-I -I was trying this lehenga. I was- I was unsure about the size and fitting", Naira made an excuse looking up at Kartik who towered above her.

"Why are you sweating?"? Kartik asked her doubtfully. Now, Naira was hell nervous but she continued to look into Kartik's eyes.

All of a sudden, Kartik chuckled and said -" Oh-okay....now I get it. You tryin' to impress me? I'm sorry mam but you are unsuccessful, did you get it? If you don't want me to end this marriage, keep as much distance from me as you can...I don't give a fuck for a shit like you,  did you get that?", Kartik declared and walked away into the bathroom leaving a shocked and tearful Naira behind.

----------------------

At the dining table

Everyone was at the dining table for dinner. The ladies were serving everyone food. Naira moved her hand forward to keep the bhatoore on Kartik's plate but the latter covered his plate with his hand and stopped her from doing so. Naira backed off and stood silently.

Kartik saw Shubham chatting on his phone.

"What is this Shubham?! You remain glued to the phone all day and go to parties at night....have you ever thought  what you are going to do in the future? You've completed your MBA...what are your plans now? Have you ever thought about that? Take your life seriously for some damn seconds in life", Kartik scolded Shubham getting irritated with his behaviour.

"Bhaiya....I know what to do. Stop worrying about me", Shubham assured him calmly.

"I don't think you are sure", Kartik taunted him.