Chapter Forty Three Maggie's Future

Maggie had woken whilst Laurent was in the shower. She put on sweats, and went to the living room. She could hear the running water, imagining his amazing body, being reminded of the very recent memory of that same amazing body on top of hers, underneath hers, and what it could do, what it had done.

She made herself some tea, and stood in the window with the view of the Tower Bridge. What now ? she asked herself. What would happen now ? What did she want to happen now ? Sex wasn't a fix-it-all, she knew that, but they were SO close, SO in sync, in everything they did, what they thought, how they viewed life, success, business, charity, family, everything.    EVERYTHING! How rare was it to find a love like this, someone like Laurent.   

Trust.  Trust kept rearing its ugly head, or rather the lack of it. Trust could be rebuilt again, couldn't it?  She had hoped it could, as in that moment she realised she could not let him go.

Could she ?

Was he right ? Was she making mountains out of molehills ? Or was he belittling how she felt to make himself feel less guilty ? She pushed those thoughts out of her head. She just wanted to enjoy these moments, hours, days, whatever time she had with Laurent now, while they were cocooned in their own little world.

She realised their clothes were still scattered around the floor, so she picked up their jeans and Laurent's jacket. As she picked it up, something fell to the floor.  It was a small black box.  She just stared at it for a while, turning her head to listen for any movement from the bathroom.  She could still hear running water.  She picked up the box and opened it.

OH MY GOD !

OH MY FUCKING GOD !!

She quickly snapped shut the box, put it back in the jacket pocket, put the jacket back on the sofa, took the jeans to her room, and cried until she could hear Laurent getting out of the shower.