four

4|THE BOUNTY

Asra Blen watched the stars out the large window, the child perched on her lap playing with the ends of her long pale hair. She sat in a co-pilot chair and glanced occasionally at the bounty hunter, not knowing what to say to him.

"Theres a bed below, you should rest before we land." The Mandalorian broke the silence, looking over his shoulder at her.

"Are you sure?" With a nod of his head Asra stood up, putting the child back in his bed. "I'll leave him here with you."

Asra went below and easily found the bed, an old thin blanket covering the mattress and a small pillow. Stripping off her shirt and shirt, she was left in her under dress. As soon as her head it the pillow she was asleep.

Loud beeps woke her from her deep slumber. She threw on her clothes and wandered back up to the control room.

"Are we almost there?" She asked, sitting back down on her seat and staring at the back of his head.

"Yes." Before Asra could ask another question she was cut off by a hologram of a man appearing on the dash.

"Mando. I've received your transmission. Wonderful news!" The man started with a cheerful tone. "Upon your return, deliver the quarry directly to the client. I have no idea if he wants to eat it or hang it on his wall, but he's very antsy. Safe passage! You know where to find me."

"Who was he?"

"Greef Karga, he is in charge of the Guild." He informed her, keeping his eyes on the planet that they were quickly approaching. Asra watched as the child crawled out its bed and wandered over to a lever by the Mandalorians hand. It grabbed the ball on top of the lever and broke it off, trying to put it in its mouth. "It's not a toy."

"Don't snatch." Asra told him off as he took the ball from the child and put it back. "It likes to put things in its mouth so leave it be."

"You better not be attached to it." The Mandalorian warned her as she played with the child.

"I'm a woman, my motherly instincts make me attached to ever child I see." She laughed, bouncy the child on her knee while it giggled loudly.

Finally the Razor Crest landed on the ground, a busy town in front of them, bustling with all types of people.

"Stay close to me." Nodding her head, Asra followed behind him with her cape concealing her face and hair. They came to a building and a mechanical eye popped out the wall, scaring Asra who stood close to it. The Mandalorian held up a card and the door opened, two stormtroopers emerging.

They pursued after the fast walking Imperial soldiers, one grabbing the childs bed harshly to drag it along.

"Easy with that." Mando growled, glaring at the stormtrooper from under his helmet.

"You take it easy." The stormtrooper snapped back, making sure the bounty hunter and healer could see his blaster.

"Yes, yes, yes!" An old man repeated as they entered what looked like an office.

"Very healthy." A doctor examined the child, scanning its face with his device.

"Your reputation was not unwarranted." The man complimented the bounty hunter, his eyes roaming over Asra's body greedily. "And who is this?"

"My healer." The Mandalorian answered for her, noticing her disgust and fear. "How many fobs did you give out?"

"This asset was of extreme importance to me. I had to ensure its deliver." He did not answer the bounty hunters question. "But to the winner go the spoils."

The man went behind his desk and grabbed a box, opening it to show the award. Mando slowly approached the desk, picking up a piece of beskar.

"Such a large bounty for such a small package." Asra stayed by the child, watching as it squirmed uncomfortably. She did not want to leave it to this crazy man, she wanted to protect it but knew she could not as she had to do as Mando said.

"No." She whispered, taking a step forward as the doctor took the child away, entering another room. The Mandalorian had to grab her wrist to stop her from running after it. It let out a sad cry before it disappeared.

"What are your plans for it?" Mando asked, keeping a tight grip on the healer.

"How uncharacteristic of one of your reputation." The officer remarked, shutting the box again. "You have taken both commission and payment. Is it not the Code of the Guild that these events are now forgotten? That Beskar is enough to make a handsome replacement for your armor. Unfortunately,  finding a Mandalorian in these trying times is more difficult than finding steel."

"Mando, we need to go back and get it." Asra expressed as they were back on the streets. "Its only a child. They are going to kill it."

"Go back to the ship, Asra. I have to see someone." He dismissed her, leading her back to the main area so she would easily find her way back.

"Mando!" She called out but he ignored her, vanishing into the crowd. Defeated, she made her way back to the ship, head lowered and shoulders deflated.