twenty eight

28|YOUR FIGHT IS OVER

"She was so cool. I wish you were cool like her." Asra randomly stated as they wandered through the halls, her eyes looking at the injured man. "She could make armour."

"I know." He sighed, looking down at the pursed lips woman and letting her head before lowering his voice with a sigh. "I know."

"This is the lava river." Greef Karga pointed out at the reached the boiling hot underground river.

"The ferry droid is fried." Mando announced, looking over the droid covered in molten lava.

"Yeah, but if we push the boat out, we can get it to float downstream." The older man suggested, using many hand gestures. "Come on."

"Looks old. Will it take the heat?" The Mandalorian questioned, helping Greef free the boat from the dock.

"Let me just try." Asra raised her hand and used the force to remove the rocks from around the boat, freeing it from its stuck state.

"Good job." Greef complimented, staring at her hand with disbelief.

"Watch your feet. It's molten lava." IG-11 warned as they a jumped in the boat.

"No kidding." Cara stated sarcastically, passing the child to Asra after having enough of it touching her face. The ferry droid woke up from the movement of the ship, startling everyone as it stood up.

"I don't suppose anybody here speaks droid?" Mando kept his blaster pointed at the innocent droid.

"I believe he is asking where we would like to go." IG-11 translated for them.

"Down river. To the lava flat." Greef said before it started chirping rhythmically. The ride was slow but eventually they spotted the end of the tunnel. "That's it. We're free!"

"No." Mando said, using his helmet to detect heat signatures. "No, we're not. Stormtroopers. They're flanking the mouth of the tunnel. It looks like an entire platoon. They must know we're coming."

"Stop the boat." Cara demanded to the ferry droid. "Hey, Droid. I said stop the boat. Hey! I'm talking to you. I said stop!" She shot off its head, startling the child in Asras arms, causing it to whimper in fear.

"We're still moving." Greef commented causing Asra to roll her eyes at the pair. "Can't you stop it?"

"She has used too much of her energy." The Mandalorian said, grabbing the healers arm as she started to sway, the world spinning around her.

"Looks like we fight." The shock trooper stated, grabbing her blaster from her waist.

"There are too many."

"Then what do you suggest?" Cara snapped at Mando, growing inpatient as they neared the end of the tunnel. "'Cause I can't surrender."

"They will not be satisfied with anything less than the child." IG-11 spoke up. "This is unacceptable. I will eliminate the enemy and you will escape."

"You don't have that kind of firepower, pal." Mando shot down the droid. "You wouldn't even get to daylight."

"That is not my objective."

"No." Asra argued, glaring at the droid even though she knew that would not work. "We have lost too much already, we are not losing you too."

"We're getting close. Saddle up." Cara warned them all before preparing all their weapons.

"I still have the security protocols from my manufacturer." The droid continued to explain its plan. "If my designs are compromised, I must self-destruct."

"What're you talking about?" Mando asked, slowly approaching the droid.

"I am not permitted to be captured. I must be destroyed." The IG Unit explained to the bounty hunter.

"Are we gonna keep talking, or are we gonna get out of here?" Greef complained, growing anxious as they got closer.

"I can no longer carry this for you." IG-11 passed Mando his jet pack and looked at the child in Asra's arms. "Nor can I watch over the child."

"Wait. You can't self destruct." The Mandalorian stopped it. "Your base is to watch the child. That supersedes your manufacturer's protocol, right?"

"This is correct."

"Good. Now, grab a blaster and help us shoot our way out." Mando stated as a command.

"Victory through combat is impossible." It argued back to the man. "We will be captured. The child will be lost. Sadly, there is no scenario where the child is saved, in which I survive."

"Listen, you're not going anywhere." He said again, trying to convince the droid to live. "We need you. Let's just come up with a-"

"Please tell me the child will be safe in your care." IG-11 cut him off. "If you do so, I can default to my secondary command."

"But you'll be destroyed." Asra whispered, saddened that she will lose the last piece of Kuiil.

"And you will live, and I will have served my purpose." The droid added, the plan being set in stone.

"No. We need you."

"There is nothing to be sad about. I have never been alive."

"I'm not sad." Mando said slowly, his voice lowering and cracking.

"Yes, you are. I'm a nurse droid. I've analysed your voice." It informed him before stroking the childs ear one last time.

"Yu gonplei ste odon." Asra stated in her native tongue, smiling as IG-11 stepped into the molten lava.

"IG? What're you doing?" Greef Karga questioned but the droid ignored him. It stumbled through the molten lava, the heat beginning to melt through its legs. Then, before the lava destroyed the IG droid, it exploded.