Chapter 11

A/N: I am back. My apology/explanation will come at the end, for now I hope you will enjoy this chapter. I tried going for realism but after days of research, months of hiatus (sorry) and more days spent researching I haven't been able to find enough information. So I'll use what I have and try bullshitting my way through what I don't know.

Chapter 11

It had been a few hours since your arrest and after your belongings had been taken care of you were finally allowed to see your lawyer. So you were now waiting behind the glass wall, a guard at the door.

"This is quite a predicament you've gotten yourself into, isn't that right?" the man said as he walked in. "I'm not sure your sister would like it."

(A bit obscure, but he's one of my favourite characters in the series)

"I know. And I'm sorry to call you, but I know what will come after this is going to be messy."

"It's true that you didn't seem to want me to defend you…" Gregory replied. "Please tell me what happened.

"I found a lead and had to resort to extreme measures to follow it. I don't plan to take this to trial, but I won't sit here and take more blame than I have to."

"You mean to say that you are guilty?" he asked.

You winced due to shame and lowered your head. This was serious. It was the first permanent blow you had received. And it was going to remain with you forever.

"I… am." you replied, since there was no point in denying it. "I hope that I avoided unnecessary suffering by doing what I did." you muttered, wiping a tear.

"I know from our last meeting that you aren't a bad person. But can you truly say you had no other choice?" Gregory asked.

"I'm not sure. Only time will tell if I did the right thing." you responded. "I was desperate… you don't have to help me…"

"I will. If your logic turns out to be true someone must be bending the law to their needs." the man replied. "I will be back tomorrow for the procedures. I assume you at least know what you have to do."

You nodded and were about to put the phone back when Gregory added one last thing:

"Don't try keeping a straight face in the court. It can help if you show remorse. And I'm certain you feel it. Had you not, you wouldn't have been caught."

With that you were left with nothing to do but return to your cell, as visiting hours were over. Tomorrow you would have to make a few more calls but right now you were thinking about your eventual sentence. Just the assault charges could put you in prison for one year. Which was too much. The only hope you had was, ironically, the legislation regarding the IS technology.

You curled up on the bed inside your holding cell. While you sort of had a plan nothing could've prepared for the feeling of hopelessness and powerlessness. You had overcome a similar fear upon completing your glove, but this time there was no trick, no loophole, bug or factor to manipulate. Only hope.