Ch 35 : I'm Sorry

Maria's POV

I can't take this any longer. This is too much. What did I do wrong?

I stood up and walked to the car without looking back. Nia came after me and hugged me from the back.

"do you remember what aunty said?" Nia asked me.

"my mom?"

"yeah!"

"what?" I wiped the tear and gave a smile to her.

"This world is a testing place, Allah is testing your patience. Don't lose-"

"hope" I continued.

"Exactly!" she squeezed my shoulder.

"let's go home, I'm really tired" I said closing my eyes.

"Sure." she said and went to talk to Tony.

I sat in the back folding up my legs.

"I'll drop Nia first then you Maria, is it okay?" he asked while starting the engine.

I nodded.

Nia gave me a kiss on the cheeks and bid goodbye.

Then Tony went in the direction of my house.

"can we go to the hospital now? I want to see Zoya" I asked him and he stopped the car.

When I looked up I saw that it was for the signal.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"yeah" I managed to say.

He took an u-turn and drove the hospital.

After parking, he opened the door for me. He walked up to the receptionist and asked for Zoya's room number. The receptionist wasn't ready to let us in. But Tony said that we are her family.

Zoya's doctor came to us. She could not recognize me, but she hugged Tony.

"ma allazi tafalo huna? (what are you doing here?) " she asked him in Arabic.

"Ana Huna allaqi Zoya (I'm here to meet Zoya)" he answered.

"sowfa ta'ati ma'ani Aidan? Lan Tamana Zain? ( she will come with us too? Won't Zain mind?)" she asked.

"kulli shaiyen, 'eela mayram hi eayilatuna ( it's ok, she is our family)" he said.

She nodded and I followed them.

I went into the room. And she lay there so peacefully. Tears automatically made their place in my eyes. I didn't want to cry. Not at least in front of her. Even though she couldn't see me.

I stretched out my hand and touched her forehead, then I held her palm with both my hands and brought it up to my temple and cried.

Ya Allah, what have I done?

This is all my fault. I wish I was never born. My heart felt so heavy at that moment. This guilt won't let me live. All I can do is now pray, pray for her health, pray for her recovery. I know she will recover. She has too. For her family, for Zain.

"Maria, we have to go now, the time is over" Tony said from behind.

I nodded at him.

I stood from the chair and stared at her for a while, I looked at her temple which had a scar. I watched her every movement, her breathing, her eyes which were closed, her lips which were swollen. She looked so much like Zain. Her nose and especially their jaw matched. When my eyes went to her hands one of her fingers slightly moved. It did. I was not dreaming it did.