017

Ruby sits in front of a metal pot, squinting her eyes, concentrating to boil the water without quite touching it

She holds her hand out, balling it into a fist. She manages to create steam, excitedly laughing as the water begins to boil. "Hey, Ruby. What's up?" Will asks tiredly, distracting her.

"Shoot!" She bangs the counter, sighing as she loses focus. "Sorry. I was just practicing." She sighs, taking a seat beside Will as Joyce enters, preparing two omelets.

"You'll get it." Will shrugs. "I don't know about that. There must be a reason the lab threw me out. I'm useless." She sighs in defeat. "That's ridiculous. Now, eat your breakfast and I'll drive you both to school." Joyce places the plates in front of the two.

"Mom, why can't you just let us ride our bikes to school like normal kids." Will whines. "Ruby doesn't have a bike." Johnathan rolls in, tiredly opening the fridge. "Then we can get her one! Or she can ride with me." Will suggests.

"There's no way, Will, Ruby. I'm sorry." The woman shakes her head. "Come on. You two are gonna be late." She taps the table, catching their attention on again.

Ruby sits up, leaving her plate on the table. Will follows behind the blonde. "This is so exciting! I can't believe your mom is letting me go to school!" She squeals. "Well, you deserve it, hun. You've been doing great with your reading." Joyce drops in. Before school, Joyce has taught her the basics of reading so she wouldn't have difficulty.

Will and Ruby open their lockers, that are conveniently placed beside each other. As will reaches inside, he pulls out a ripped piece of the newspaper headlined 'THE BOY WHO CAME BACK TO LIFE'

On the paper, written in green marker, are the words 'ZOMBIE BOY', and on his photo, two red marks on his eyes. "Will, What's Wong?" Ruby questions as she peers over his shoulder. "Zombie boy?" She reads carefully, sounding out the letters. She's only just gotten used to reading.

Will doesn't respond, looking around curiously. Hoping to find a group of laughing kids that would prove the delinquents who did this.

No one's around, and by the time he'd given up, the bell rings. "It's whatever." He crumples it up, stuffing it in his pocket and making his way towards the class. Ruby stares for a moment as he walks away, before running after the boy.

"Meet the human brain." Mr. Clarke says excitedly, placing a brain model onto its stand. "I know. I know, it doesn't look like much. A little gross even, right? But consider this. There are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution. all working as one." Ruby leans forward in her desk, listening closely.