021

"Have a great day

"Have a great day." Bob calls as Will and Ruby exit. They nod, walking up to the school. The stares never stop. The new girl and the zombie boy, always together. It's always stressed Ruby out. She's not used to being noticed anyway.

"Is it just me, or is everyone staring at us?" She asks, nervously taking his hand in hers. Will glances down at their conjoined hands, then sighs. "They always do."

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time." Mr. Clarke begins. " Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head."

He draws on the photo, demonstrating. "Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality."

Ruby leans her face on her palm, glancing over at Max. She seems to be staring directly at Will. "Why are you staring at Will?" She whispers. "I'm not!"

Will overhears the indistinct whispers behind him, causing him to turn around. Max awkwardly turns away. Ruby smiles at Will, then watches him turn back around.

"At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case." Mr. Clarke continues. "Although it wasn't a —"

All of a sudden, the classroom door is pushed open as Dustin barges inside in a hurry.  Max and Ruby share a look, then turn their attention to the curly headed boy.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class." He pants. "Don't mind me." He whispers. "Really, continue, please. Thanks."

"Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said."

Dustin begins whispering to the other boys as they all huddle around. "What are they saying?" Max questions. "I don't know. I can't hear." Ruby shrugs.

Dustin turns around, facing the two girls. "AV Club. Lunch." He whispers loudly. Max and Ruby shake their heads in confusion. "AV Tub punch?" Ruby asks. The red head shrugs. "Dustin!" Mr. Clarke calls.

"Yes, my lord?" He spins around. "Would you care to join the class now?" He raises his eyebrows. "Please, yes." He nods, reaching for his bag. "The case of Phineas Gage." Mr. Clarke states.

"Phineas Gage." Dustin repeats. "Page 104." The man adds. "104. 104." The curly headed boy mutters. "Focus."

"Focusing. Focusing."

He turns around once more, mouthing "AV Club." Max and Ruby nod, Max giving a thumbs up. Dustin smiles proudly, then faces back to the front.

"And he began to curse, using terrible words that I don't dare repeat here."

At lunch, they all head to the AV room, where Dustin reveals his new discovery. "His name is d'Artagnan." Dustin says as they peer over at what seems to be a gooey lizard with no eyes.

Dustin picks him up. "Cute, right?" He grins. "Gross." Ruby scrunches up her face. "D'Artagnan?" Mike questions. "Dart for short." Dustin nods.

"And he was in your trash?" Max asks. "Foraging for food." He responds. "You wanna hold him?"

"No, no. I don't want to—"

"He doesn't bite." Dustin places him in her hands. "Oh, god, he's slimy!" She shouts, passing him over to Lucas. "Ugh, he's like a living booger." He gags. Will holds him next, disgusted. "Ugh, oh, God."

He passed it on to Ruby, but when he does, Dart immediately shrieks. Ruby screams, quick to pass it to mike. "What was that about?" Max asks. "I don't know." Lucas shrugs.

Mike brings the creature up-close to his face, examining it. "What is he?" He questions. "My question Exactly." Dustin smiles.

"At first, I thought it was some type of pollywog." Dustin sets down a stack of books. "What's a pollywag?" Ruby asks. "It's another word for tadpole. A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad." He explains.

"I think she knows what a tadpole is." Max cuts in. "Thanks, Dustin." Ruby smiles softly to him. "All right, well most tadpoles are aquatic, right?" Dustin continues, opening a book.

"Well, dart, he isn't. He doesn't need water."

"Yeah, but aren't there non-aquatic pollywogs?"  Lucas asks. "Terrestrial pollywogs? Yep. Two to be exact." Dustin nods.

"Indirana semipalmata. And the Adenomera andreae. One's from India, one's from South America. So how did one end up in my trash?"

"Maybe some scientist brought it here, and it escaped?" Max suggests. "Do you guys see that? Looks like something is moving inside of it." Mike points out.

Mike shines the light on it, causing it to screech just as it did on Ruby's hand . They all gasp once again. It climbs away from the light, back into Dustin's hand.

"I got you, little guy. I know you don't like that." Dustin smiles, holding Dart up to his face. "And there's another thing. Reptiles, they're cold-blooded. Ectothermic, right?" He continues. "They love heat, the sun. Dart hates it. It hurts him."

Will and Ruby share a worried look, then look down at her hands. "So, is he's not a pollywog or a reptile.." Lucas begins.

"Then I've discovered a new species." Dustin finishes proudly. Ruby taps will on the shoulder. "I don't trust it." She whispers.

"Yeah, me.. me neither."