056

"It's turning around

"It's turning around." Steve says, watching as the horrifying beast stop following them. "What?" Nancy asks. "It's turning around!"

"Maybe we wore it out." Lucas suggests. "I don't think so. Hold on." Johnathan warns. He quickly turns around, driving back towards the mall. "Johnathan! This is dumb! Ruby can barely keep herself awake!" Will shouts.

"I'm fine will." She says silently. "No, you're not." He shakes his head. "Will, stop worrying."

"I can't stop worrying! I love you and I don't want you to get hurt!" Will shouts, causing everyone to silence themselves. Ruby weakly sits up, staring at him for a moment.

"Guys, we're here. Come on." Johnathan says, pulling open the doors and letting them out. "The fireworks. Rube, we need your help." Lucas says. "I'm here." She nods, following them inside.

"Ruby-"

"Will, I'll be fine, okay?" She sighs, then slowly follows after Lucas. They make it inside, and Ruby lights one of Lucas' fireworks. "Flay this you ugly piece of shit!" Lucas shouts as he throws it.

Ruby helps out by throwing multiple fire balls at it, and creating a large heat wave. Nancy, Johnathan, Steve, and Robin also help with fireworks from every corner.

"Hey, Asshole! Over here!" Steve shouts, throwing another firework. Ruby holds out her hands, screaming as she uses all of her strength. The monster screeches, causing Billy to fall down in pain.

El tries to run away, but is once again grabbed by her foot and dragged. "El!" Ruby screams. "We're almost out!" Will shouts. "I know!" Lucas replies.

"Guys, I can't do this for much longer." Ruby says loudly. "You got this, Rube!" Lucas encourages. Ruby feels her vision blur the more she fires.

"We're out!" Will yells. "Damn it!" Lucas sighs. Ruby sobs as she falls to the ground, not being able to create any more fire.

The mind flayer stands up, causing billy to meet with it. The monster roars, reaching for El. "El!" Ruby screams. Suddenly, billy interferes, yelling as he pushes the hand away.

It claps onto him multiple times, causing him to scream out in pain. "No..." Ruby cries, falling back into Will's arms.

"No! No!" She gets up, holding out her hands once again. She screams, sending a large heatwave across causing the mind flayer to screech. It flails its arms around multiple times, it collapses onto the ground.

Ruby gasps, peering over the railing along with Will and Lucas. After a few seconds, her eyes roll back and she loses consciousness. Will catches her, a tear rolling down his cheek.

"Ruby! Rube! Wake up." He says, shaking her. "Will." Lucas says. "She's okay. Let her rest." He says, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Will sobs, carrying her out as the place bursts into flames. He walks up to an ambulance, taking a seat on the edge and wrapping a blanket around the girl.

"Will?" She croaks out. "Rube." He smiles, letting out a short cry of joy. "I love you, too." She sits up, wrapping her arms around him. Will smiles, placing his hand on her head, holding her up.

He glances over her shoulder, spotting his mother. "Oh, baby." Joyce sobs, running over to the two and joining in the hug. "Thank god." She cries.

Ruby looks up, finding El. She seems to be searching for Hopper. Ruby slowly breaks from the hug, weakly limping over to the girl. "El." She says. She turns around, facing Ruby.

Ruby sighs, engulfing her in a hug. "Wh-Where's my dad?" She stutters. The both of them look over to Joyce, who immediately breaks down after eye contact with the helpless El.

"No.." El mutters, shaking her head. Ruby lets out a shaky breath, once again wrapping her arms around the crying girl. There they stand, crying into each other's shoulders.

"Ruby, you have to sleep." Will says. "No. How am I supposed to sleep after that, Will?" She asks, sighing. "You're exhausted."

"I'm not exhausted."

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not! Will, I thought I was supposed to be the one who worried the most." Ruby flops back onto Will's bed, sighing. "It's my turn. Look, if I let you sleep here, will you sleep?" Will asks.

Ruby glances up at him. "Fine." She gives in. "Alright. Goodnight." Will leans in, quickly pecking her lips before tucking himself in. Ruby gets under the covers, feeling as Will's arm wraps around her. She cries silently as Will begins to drift off into sleep.

She knew it would be too hard to sleep that night.