024

After a long afternoon of searching for Ruby with no success, Will and Joyce return home in defeat

After a long afternoon of searching for Ruby with no success, Will and Joyce return home in defeat. Will is in tears. "Is she not gonna come back? Am I ever gonna see her again?" He cries.

"Will, we'll find her. I promise." Joyce reassures. "What if the lab finds her first? What if they already did?" He sobs. "Will, I—"

She stops talking, widening her eyes at the TV.

"One of Hawkins' largest forest fires occurred today near Hawkins middle. Lucky for the middle school, the fire hasn't made it far enough to cause any damage to the building. Fire fighters are currently fighting the fire, trying to prevent it from furthering. Witnesses say they hear screaming coming from inside the fire." The TV reporter says.

Will and Joyce share a look, then quickly get up. "Ruby." They both state, quick to run out of the door.

Ruby shakes as she stands in the middle of all the flames. She looks for any way out, but she's too far in. She fears no one will find her in this fire. Lucky for the girl, Joyce had made her fire proof clothing for her fire, but it still didn't block out the immense heat around her.

"Go go go!" She hears the firemen yell as they sit in tall helicopters, pouring the water in any attempt to stop this horrid fire. How could she have caused this? She already feels regretful and a great deal of guilt.

She runs all around, looking for an exit. She avoids following the voices. If she'd be discovered, who knows what would happen to her.

Will and Joyce arrive the scene. It's absolutely chaotic and panic is evident. "Ruby has to be here, right?" Will asks.

"How are we supposed to find her?" Joyce sighs. "Will, meet me in a less crowded area around the forest, all right? I have a plan." She instructs. Will nods, beginning to run off.

Joyce sneaks her way into a firetruck, grabbing a uniform. She quickly puts it on, then returns to the scene. She stands outside, fear dwelling in her chest. "What are you waiting for? Are you going in or staying out?" Another foreman calls out.

Joyce quickly spins around, pointing towards the fire. "Well, no time to lose!" He shouts. Joyce runs into the fire, her eyes examining every corner.

"Ruby!" She calls. "Ruby!"

Ruby coughs. Inhaling this much fire isn't good for her. Although it doesn't kill her, it can certainly make her sick.

"Ruby?" She hears someone call out. She quickly looks up. Is she imagining things? "Will?" She asks. "Ruby!" The voice continues.

"Will?" She screams. "Ruby, honey! It's me! It Joyce!" She shouts back. "Can you run to my voice?"

"Yes!" She screams back. "Ruby! Follow my voice!"

Ruby runs around frantically, trying to block out the noise from the flames.

Will stands nervously the other end of the forest, where the fire hadn't hit yet. With a loud crash, his attention is caught by Ruby and Joyce, appearing from the smoke. Ruby coughs, tripping onto the ground.

"Oh, Ruby. Please be careful." Joyce says worriedly, helping her up. Ruby looks up, her eyes meeting Will's. She lets go of Joyce's hand, running up to him and engulfing him in a hug.

"Will, I'm so sorry. I was so stupid. I didn't mean for any of this to happen." She sobs. "I know, Ruby. There's a lot I need to tell you." He sighs. "I'm so sorry."

"That sounds terrible." Ruby sniffles. Will had just explained to her what had happened. "I never meant to make you leave. I didn't even know you were there." He cries.

"I wouldn't ever ask you to leave. I probably wouldn't survive without you." He chuckles sadly, wiping away a tear. Ruby smiles, once again wrapping her arms around him.

"You're the most important thing in my life right now, Will."