028

"Get him out

"Get him out. Go! Go!"

"God! Hold on, Sweetie!"

"Will!"

Joyce, Bob, Ruby, and Mike all run down along with the nurses, following the screaming Will into the emergency room. "Will, where does it hurt?" The woman asks.

"All over." He cries. Ruby cries into Mike's shoulder as she wraps his arms around her. "She says he feels like he's burning. Check for burns." Dr. Owens suggests.

They cut open the hospital gown, exposing his pale skin. Absolutely no marks at all. Will screams in pain as they examine him. "I don't see anything." The nurses says, feeling around for any markings.

"Where does it hurt the most, Will?" She asks. "Everywhere! Everywhere!" He sobs. "I can't do this. I can't." Ruby cries more, only hugging Mike tighter. They inject will with a needle, putting him to sleep.

"Alright. I'm afraid you're all going to have to wait outside for a bit until he's calmed down." The nurse begins pushing everyone out. "Is he gonna be okay?" Ruby asks worriedly.

"He'll be just fine, dear." She smiles reassuringly, lightly closing the door.

Mike and Ruby sit beside each other in Will's room, asleep. Ruby has her head on Mike's shoulder as he leans back. They've spent the entire night there. While they sleep, Bob and Joyce have a silent conversation.

"Mom?" Will speaks up. Just at the sound of Will's voice, Ruby's eyes open as well. She slowly looks up, smiling.

Bob runs out of the room. "Is there a doctor? We need a doctor!" He calls. "Sweetie, how you feeling? You okay?" Joyce asks. "Okay, they're on their way." Bob adds.

Mike has awoken by now as well and the both of them look to Will with concern. "Hey." Bob smiles. "Who is that?" Will asks confusedly.

"What?" Joyce furrows her eyebrows. "It's me, big guy, it's Bob." He chuckles. Ruby and Mike share a worried look. He reaches for his hand, but will pulls away.

"Are you a...doctor?" Will questions. "No. No, it's just me. Just... just Bob." He responds.

"Do you know your name?" Owens asks. "Will." He responds. "Your full name?"

"William Byers."

"Do you know.. Do you know who I am?" He asks again. "A doctor." Will says. "Have we met before?" He smiles.

"I don't remember." Will replies. "You don't remember me?" Will shakes his head. "Okay. How about these two over here?" He points to Ruby and Mike.

Mike waves as Ruby stares at him tearfully. "Know who they are?" Owens asks. Will pauses for a moment, causing Ruby's heart to skip a beat. "It's all right. Take your time."

"They're my friends. Mike and Ruby." He replies, causing a smile to appear on their faces. "What about me, kid? You remember me?" Hopper speaks up.

Will shakes his head. "They tell me you helped save me last night. You remember that?"

Will shakes his head once again. "Do you remember anything about last night? About what happened?" Owens asks softly.

"I remember they hurt me." Will responds. "You mean the doctors?" He questions. "No. The soldiers."

"The soldiers hurt you?"

"They shouldn't have done that." He says coldly. "It upset him."

Ruby and Mike fearfully glance at each other. "You say, 'upset him'. Is that him?" Owens hands will a photograph of his drawing.

Will takes it, then nods. "Okay. Okay, I wanna try something. It's gonna seem a little odd at first, but I think it's really gonna help us understand what's going on. Is that okay?" He places a hand on Will's shoulder. The boy hesitantly nods.

After a minute or so, a nurse brings in a tray with a cut off piece one of the vines. "Now, Will, I want you to just let us know if you feel anything. Okay?"

Will nods. Another doctor lights a blowtorch, slowly lowering it towards the vine. "Do you feel anything?" Owens asks. "Little sting." He replies, breathing heavily.

"It stings? Where?"

"My chest." He grunts. His heartbeat begins to accelerate. Owens nods at the doctor, who then lowers it further. "How about now?"

"It... it burns. Ah! It burns." He shouts. "Where?" He says. "Everywhere!" Will groans. "Stop it!" Ruby yells. "That's enough. That's enough!" Joyce adds.

Will continues to scream as the Viny creature in the box screeches. "Stop! You heard her! That's enough!" Hopper shouts.

The man pulls away the blowtorch, letting Will calm down. Hopper and Joyce leave the room with Owens as Mike and Ruby stay with Will.

As soon as she gets the chance to, Ruby runs over and wraps her arms around will. "This is terrible." She sobs. Mike joins in, hugging will as well. "You're gonna be fine, will." He reassures.

"What the hell is taking so long?" Joyce asks impatiently as they all sit in the room. "Hey... doctors take forever, always. Just try and relax. Just be patient." Bob tries to calm her down.

Joyce exhales heavily, before getting up from her seat. "You know, I just.." She stammers, beginning to walk out. Bob follows behind her.

"Will." Ruby says, causing the boy to turn towards her and Mike. "What's wrong? Are you hurting again?" She asks worriedly. "Uh.. I saw something." He shudders. "In your now-memories?" Mike asks.

"The shadow monster. I think I know how to stop him."