2.

M A R C O. 
Every Time I Close My Eyes, I See Her Face

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - TKO "This ain't the girl I used to know; not anymore

"This ain't the girl I used to know; not anymore."

"I don't believe that's her. I remember Romessa. She was absolutely beautiful, but she wasn't this." Julian gaped as he spoke to Marco, both of the players eating together during a brief break from their physical therapy. The two of them managed to set their differences aside after Romessa's untimely departure from Germany—partly because Julian quickly moved on to dating her friend, Bella.

It'd been three days since Marco began working with Romessa. They'd said hardly anything to one another, the exception being when she answered his questions about the tests she was running. It wasn't that he didn't want to speak to her, but if he did, what would he say? What do you say to your long lost lover when they re-enter your life without warning? "By this, what exactly do you mean?" Marco finally responded once he finished eating a bite from a sandwich that he'd gotten at the kitchens. He, too, was observing Romessa—everyone was. It was hard not to: she was striking and sharp in a suit that looked as though it was tailored for her, her five inch heels allowed her to stand tall.

"Look at her. She's smoking hot. She was pretty before, but she wasn't sexy. She doesn't even look like the same person, and that's why you didn't recognize her at first." Julian gazed at the Moroccan like a piece of fresh-cooked meat, leaving Marco to pout. She isn't yours anymore, he told himself. Why do you care how Julian looks at her?

"She was perfectly sexy when I knew her," smirked Marco. How could he forget about all of the unspeakable things they'd done behind closed doors? All of the secret parts of themselves that they'd exposed to one another?

One thing Marco had no trouble agreeing with Julian on was the fact that Romessa had developed gracefully over past two years. Everywhere she moved, heads turned; Lucien Favre stuttered when she asked him a question. She'd melted off her curves to reveal a svelte figure, complete with toned long legs and an almost disproportionately small waist. Even more of a sight was her slender face, molded to complement her figure now that the baby fat it held during her teenage years had rescinded. Her heart-shaped lips were accentuated with dark red lipstick; her dark eyes were even smokier with carefully done eyeliner. She's grown into herself, Marco thought, as he watched her take a few confident steps towards one of her colleagues. And she's grown out of me.

But haven't I moved on, also? Marco stared at the wedding band on his finger. Contrary to what everyone expected, he didn't end up marrying Scarlett. Instead, he fought her in court during a nasty battle for primary custody over Lucia. After winning custody over his daughter, Marco banished Scarlett from his life completely, only talking to her if it was a matter having to do with Lucia. He then married the model and philanthropist named Jessica Seeburg in December of the year he met Romessa, and he loved her faithfully. He'd known Jessica for years, dating her on and off again until he met Scarlett in 2015. If she wasn't posing for a camera, she was volunteering, traveling all over the world and working with various nonprofits. She was selfless and sweet, a great stepmother to Lucia, and everything Marco could ask for in a wife. But she wasn't Romessa—and the Moroccan's reappearance two days ago constantly reminded the German of that fact.