Chapter Eighteen: Supergirl

The hallways of National City High were almost bare this morning, with mainly girls and a few boys who somehow hadn't gotten sick yet. On a bulletin board, there were posters pinned up about good hygiene. I sighed at this. The sickness had gotten this bad.

"Hey Kara," Lee said as they walked over to me.

I turned to them and smiled. "You haven't gotten sick?"

"Amazingly, no." They sniffled a little.

I chuckled as the two of us started to walk down the hallway. "Famous last words."

Lee shook their head. "Nah, I'm pretty sure this is just a cold." They sighed. "Speaking of that." They stopped walking. "I saw Supergirl not that long ago."

"Your gal pal in the sky, huh?" I teased, cracking a smile.

Lee shrugged. "I mean, yeah." They sighed. "Between you and me, she told me that...something's up about it. Like, it's not just like a regular illness."

I knitted my eyebrows together. "Really?" My voice cracked the slightest bit.

They nodded. "Yeah. She's been working with some of the other heroes about it, like Batgirl, Wonder Woman, a few others. They think the Joker's behind it."

I scoffed. "I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being case." I paused for a second. "But, why are you telling me?"

"You're an intern at CatCo," Lee explained, "this is topical. Coverage of this can help clear up the air about this. CatCo can finally focus on something important for once!"

I bit my lip, taking in the suggestion.

"And no offense, but the topics you guys have been pumping out have been kind of lackluster," Lee said, "I think the last good thing to come out of there was when Supergirl cleared her name a while back when I sent in my story with them."

I smiled at that memory. A bullied kid on the verge of suicide until Supergirl came down to just...talk it out with them. I guess before I...I mean, Supergirl, came to their aid, no one else even gave them the chance.

"But that's beside the point," Lee added, "you gotta bring this to peoples' attention, Kara. Someone's gotta tell them, and they'll listen to you.

My eyes widened slightly before blinking a couple times. "You mean it?"

They nodded.

I smiled at that. "Maybe, Lee. Maybe."

Suddenly, there were screams from far away. I could hear lasers being shot. The sound was far from the high school, but still in National City. My eyes widened at this. I turned to Lee. "Hey, I have to go, but I'll meet back up with you later, okay?"

Lee furrowed their eyebrows. "You okay?"

"Yeah, it's just...I forgot that there's something I need to do. We'll meet up later, promise." With that, I speed-walked away, trying my hardest to not kick into super-speed. I felt a pang of hurt in my stomach. How many times did I leave Lee hanging to go be Supergirl? I headed into the girls' bathroom before changing into my Supergirl outfit and putting a small comm connected to the Batcave in my ear, and flying out of the bathroom's window.

The wind whipped past my ears as I flew into the center of the city. My eyes widened when I saw it: a woman in different shades of green, from her lime-green hair to her dark green cape and boots. There seemed to be a white, floating orb beside her. "Where is she?" she growled.

"You looking for someone, lady in green?" I called out.

The woman turned her head. The orb turned around, too. Chills sent down my spine when the orb turned to reveal an emerald-green iris and pupil. The woman smirked at me. "So nice to finally meet you, Supergirl." Suddenly, the eye-looking orb shot out a green beam at me, striking against my chest. It stung as I fell to the ground.