Chapter Twenty-Seven: Supergirl

My eyes were wide at this. I could feel my body shaking. No, this could be happening. First, it was Krypton. Now, it was Earth? Images flashed through my mind. I could hear the screams of the children back on Krypton as Brainiac's ship hovered high above the city. I blinked a couple times before I backed off a bit. I shook my head slightly. "I...I can't." I ran out of the medbay.

"Kara!" Mon-El called out.

I didn't stop running out. I jumped up, flying out the Batcave.

The cold air embraced me up there. I turned my back to the sun and absorbed its energy. They say that sound can't be heard in the vacuum of space. From what Kal has told me before, though, it's silent for anyone but a Kryptonian. But it was quieter, quieter than anywhere back on Earth. For once, my mind isn't clouded by all this insanity.

Suddenly, there was a woosh. My eyes widened and turned around. Behind me, Mon-El flew up. "Quite the exit you made back there."

"You followed me?"

He sighed. "I needed to make sure you were okay."

I gave him a half-smile. "Thanks, I guess, but I'm...I'm okay."

Mon-El pursed his lips together. "Plus, I know what this is like."

"You know what having the entire world on your shoulders like?" I asked.

"I know what it's like," Mon-El replied, "the Legion of Super-Heroes experience that crap a lot."

I shrugged. "I guess." I sighed, then shook my head. "No, this is different."

"Because it impacts the future, too?"

"I wish that was the only reason." I sighed. "I...I kind of have history with Brainiac."

There was a small pause.

"Your cousin fought him a few times, right?"

"Once that I know of," I answered, "yeah." I sighed again. "But it's a bit more than that."

Mon-El furrowed. his eyebrows. "How so?"

I cleared my throat. "Before Krypton was destroyed, he tried to collect the cities, specifically Kandor."

"Collect cities?" He furrowed his eyebrows more. "Even if he's an alien like you and me, that should literally be impossible." He paused for a second, as if to reconsider. "Right?"

"He found a way to incapacitate Krypton enough to shrink the planet with as little resistance as possible," I explained, "once he got to Argo City, the Kryptonians fought back their hardest, but they still lost." I sighed as I felt tears spring to my eyes. I closed them, hoping to hold them back. "As Brainiac tried to collect the rest of Krypton, it backfired."

"It backfired?"

"Years before, there was a long war. It led to so much death and destruction. From that destruction, extremists sprouted who believed that Kryptonians had wrecked the planet so badly that there was no point to fix it, so they tried to destroy the core by beaming highly-concentrated radiation from a machine called the Destroyer straight into it. And for a while, it did nothing. Then, people started dying of what we called 'The Green Death'."

"Kryptonite poisoning?"

I shrugged. "Probably." I sighed again. "Scientists like my father and my uncle tried to find what was going on. My uncle concluded that our core was unstable now. Then, Brainiac came. After he shrunk and bottled Kandor, he went after the other cities, agitaing the planet's already unstabe core. Then, it exploded." I took in as much of a deep breath as I could, as my breathing got shallow. "My father and my uncle knew what would happen," I added, my voice quivering, "so they prepared to send us off behind my back." A tear spilled out of one of my eyes. "I was only told that Krypton was destoryed because of the first half for a long time until Kal brought up the possibility after he did some digging about Krypton's history. I had no idea that Brainiac had been behind the destruction of Krypton for a long time."