Chapter Seven: Faith, Trust and Pain

(Back to Ash's POV.)

We all had changed into our normal clothes. I'm in the kitchen sitting at the counter reading when Mello walks in. I don't look at him or talk to him. I know he is still pissed off at me. He clearly still hates me from back then. I never wanted to hurt him. Jack was the only father he had! I wish I knew who killed him so I can take revenge. For both of us! I respect Mello. I think of him as a son. Even back then. I knew he hated me, but I still will forever love him like a son! Even though he won't accept me as a father I will keep him as close to my heart as possible.

Mello: Kira!

I snap my head towards him.

Ash: Yeah?

Mello: I said where is L?

Ash: He's in the computer room with Near. Mello walks out of the room. I groan.

Jack: I told you, being a father was a hard.

I look to the doorway and see Jack.

Ash: I wish he trusted me.

Jack: The three of them have a hard time trusting because of what happened.

Ash: I want them to see that I'm not evil.

Jack: Try to spend some father-bonding time with them. First, start with Near then Matt and finally Mello.

I sigh.

Ash: I guess I could try.

Jack walks over to me and kisses my lips.

Jack: Don't force them to trust you.

I nod. He walks out. I decided to look for Near. He is in his room playing with his toys. I knock on the door softly. He looks up.

Ash: What's ya doing?

Near: A tea party with my stuffed animals.

Ash: Can I join?

He gives me a look.

Near: Why?

Ash: I have nothing to do and I thought we could have a bonding experience.

He rolls his eyes.

Near: Fine.

I sit down on the floor and we play together. I didn't realize how much my childhood I have missed. I never got to play with toys even I was growing up.

Near: Kira!

I stop playing with the bunny and look at Near. He looks amused.

Near: You are such a child!

I blush madly. Near giggles. He then pats my head lightly.

Near: Good, Kira-kun.

I blush more. He smiles. It makes me happy seeing Near smile like that. After I play with Near for a little more I get up and went to find Matt. He is in the computer room by his self. I walk over to him.

Ash: What's you doing, Matt?

Matt: Playing a game?

Ash: What's it called?

He gives me a look.

Matt: Why do you want to know? It's not like you care.

I sigh. This is gonna be harder then the last battle.

Ash: I ... want to know about technology and games. You seem like the person to talk to me about it.

He still gives me a look then shrugs his shoulders and looks back at the computer.

Matt: I can't teach you all of it.

Ash: That's fine.

I sit next to him and go on a computer. Matt shows me lots of fun games like Minecraft and Pixie Art. Again my childhood is coming back to me.

Matt: Kira!

I look at him quickly. He is at me with amusement.

Matt: Did anyone tell you you're a child?

I blush again madly. Matt pats my head like Near did.

Matt: Good, Kira-kun.

Why are they calling me Kira-kun. Is it a form of respect? I say thanks to Matt and leave the room. My last son is gonna be the hardest to get to trust me. I reach his room and gently knock on the door.

Mello: Who is it?

Ash: It's me.

Mello: What the fuck do you want, Kira?!

Ash: To talk to you! I just want some common ground between us.

Mello: Well I don't!

I lean against the door. I then got an idea.

Ash: I will buy you a chocolate bar~

Mello: Get the fuck in here before I change my mind!

I smirk a little. I open the door and went in. Mello is laying on his stomach on his bed. I take a deep breath and let it out. I slowly sit on his bed with my back facing him. He isn't looking at me. We don't talk for five minutes.

Mello: You said you wanted to talk to me!

Ash: O-oh! I want to tell you something about my past.

He sits up.

Mello: What makes you thing I won't tell L? 

I look at him. 

Ash: Because I trust you.

He blushes a little.

Ash: When I first met L, I was so nervous. Because I knew I would be meeting you guy too. I totally forgot I was Kira when I first met you guys. I was shaking a lot. By the way you three were looking at me I could tell you already knew. I was scared and I thought I would drop dead right there.

Meet: Is there a reason you're telling me this?

I smile at him.

Ash: From the moment I saw you three I knew that you were gonna be my children.

Mello blushes madly.

Mello: WHAT?! You couldn't of! We had just met!

Ash: I just felt something to L right away. You guys too.

I pat Mello's head lightly.

Ash: You guys are special to me and ... it may take time for you to fully trust me, but I will always be there.

Mello jaw drops. I slowly get up, but Mello hugs me tightly crying.

Mello: You stupid! Why must you feel like a father to us!? Why can't we just hate you?

I hug back.

Mello: I felt alone. Near was always L's special one. Matt and I never got any attention like he did, but when you came ... you took the two of us in and made us yours. You even took care of Near! You were are second father and we loved you! That's why ... we couldn't believe that you were Kira. We turned our backs on you. When L died we blamed on you because we felt betrayed. I felt betrayed. I never wanted that to happen. We didn't even listen to you! I'm sorry, Ash! I'm sorry!

I hug him tighter. I put a hand on the back of his head as he cries.

Ash: I'm sorry too.

He sobs in my shoulder and I rub his back. When he stops crying I kiss his forehead.

Ash: It's gonna be ok, Mello.

He nods. I get up and went out of the room to give him space. I close the door. I turn and see Jack, Near, and Matt standing there. We stare at each other. Near then runs over to me and hugs me tightly.

Near: Papa!

I smile and hug him back. Jack smiles at me warmly. Matt hugs me too.