Chapter 7

-Present Day, Avengers Tower-

Jenny was going crazy shut up in her room. Her wings were pretty much healed, and she was growing restless. So one night, she carefully crept out of her room, cautiously wandering down the hallway until she came to the stairs that led up to the roof. Just as she was about to open the upstairs door, a voice called out from behind her.

"I see you finally decided to leave your room. But only at night... Still avoiding me?"

Jenny whirled around, reverting to the defensive silence she'd had when she first arrived at the tower.

"Back to not talking, huh?" Tony shook his head. "I thought you trusted me."

Jenny looked down at the floor, not daring to make eye contact. This is exactly why she had been so afraid of telling him the truth.

"You told me the truth, but didn't even give me a chance to respond."

He came toward her, gently placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Hey," he murmured, cupping her face with his hand.

She nervously met his eyes. There was something there, in the way that he looked at her. Something that hadn't been there before. Jenny was suddenly very aware of how little space there was between them. One hand rested on her cheek, the other had moved to steady her at the waist. Only inches separated them.

Tony took a hesitant breath, when suddenly, the tower alarms blared loudly.

"Sir, we have a security breach," FRIDAY called, causing the pair to jump apart. "I've alerted the other Avengers; the tower has been infiltrated by what appears to be a remnant of HYDRA."

Jenny's eyes widened in fear. Tony glanced down at her, an unreadable expression plastered across his face.

"Go," he said forcefully. "They can't find you, or they'll try to take you again."

Jenny paused, then ran back towards the common room floor. Once Tony was sure that she was headed to safety, he turned and made a break for the armoury.

"FRIDAY, get a suit ready!" he shouted as he ran.

"Sir, my system has been momentarily disrupted. The suits are currently offline."

Muttering in anger, Tony went tearing down the halls, hoping to stick close to Jenny. If he couldn't use a suit to fight, then he was going to protect her without one. Little did he know, the secretive mutant had something else planned.

---

Jenny ran, but not to safety. She'd had a vision, and she wasn't going to sit by and let someone die. Making her way to the landing area, she began to see the intruders locked in combat with the Avengers, most of whom were still in their sleepwear.

Steve and Thor were working together, using the shield and hammer in a well-practiced routine. Clint had managed to get to his bow and was thinning the enemy's numbers from the vents.But none of them concerned Jenny. Natasha had been cornered by multiple agents on the landing ledge, and they were nearly overwhelming her. She had been backed against the edge, dangerously close to falling.

The assassin took down the attackers, one by one, until she was facing only one. Back and forth they went, each equally matched in their skill. Unnoticed by the rest of the team, this duel went on. But there was a second HYDRA agent. He aimed his gun, pulling the trigger...

The impact sent Natasha to the ground, but there was no pain. She slid off the ledge, but grabbed ahold just before she fell. The spy looked up just in time to see Jenny clutching her abdomen, plunging off of the tower.

---

Tony had seen Jenny push Nat out of the way. His heart nearly stopped as she went over the edge. The thing that hurt the worst was knowing that there was nothing he could do. He couldn't catch her without his suit, and those that could fly had other problems to worry about. Tony rushed over, hoping to at least help Natasha. But as he drew near, he could see that his friend's grip was failing. He dove towards her, only to yell in despair as her hold slipped and she too was sent tumbling down in gravity's unforgiving hold.

"NO!" he screamed, rage and desperation clawing at his insides. Out of the corner of his eye, Tony noticed the remaining agents. Standing quickly, he threw one over the edge as the man came at him. The other took a bit more effort, dodging a punch, Tony used his anger to land a solid blow to his temple, successfully knocking him out.

Just then, a shadow fell over him. Tony turned around to see Jenny with... wings? Her coat was off, now in her hand, and in her arms, she held Natasha by the waist. The assassin's eyes were wide as the mutant weakly dropped her to the ground and made an awkward landing, stumbling forward to lean heavily against the wall.

Tony hesitated briefly, momentarily frozen by this new revelation. But upon seeing the red stain on Jenny's side, he shook off his confusion and rushed over to her. The rest of the team, having finished off the remaining agents, noticed the commotion and came to investigate.

Jenny was soaked in blood, slumped against the wall. Tony had found a cloth and was pressing it to her side. Behind the mutant girl, two large wings were spread, twitching in pain as Stark applied pressure to the wound. The appendages were varying shades of brown, highlighted with white in some places and lighter on the underside, much like the markings of a sparrow.

Breathing heavily, the girl's wide eyes darted around to each member of the group, attempting to gauge their reactions.

"Come on Jenny, stay with me!" Tony said sternly. "Don't you dare close your eyes. You're gonna be okay."

Her face contorted in pain and confusion.

"You... you don't- you aren't mad?"

"No, of course not. Why would I be mad? You have a right to your secrets."

He brushed a strand of hair out her face; her eyes fluttered shut as she gasped for air.

"Tony, move."

Natasha shoved him out of her way. He frowned, unsure of her intentions. Nat rolled her eyes at his expression.

"Relax. She saved my life, I'm not gonna hurt her."

"Oh, so she has to take a bullet for you before you trust her?"

"Don't misunderstand me, Stark. I still have some questions for her. But right now she needs medical attention, and I can't get any answers if she's dead."

A weak chuckle surprised them both.

"My heart... is warmed by your concern, Agent Romanoff," Jenny murmured weakly. "I'll be happy... happy to answer all your questions, once... I am able." She paused for breath. "I do believe... I'm about to pass out..."

With that, her eyes closed again and her body relaxed.

"No, no, no!" Tony growled. "Don't do this to me, Jenny!"

"Get her to Cho, now!" Natasha ordered.

As the others took Jenny away, the spy remained. And though she hated to admit it, maybe - just maybe - she had been wrong about this girl.