Chapter 17

The work was slow, but steady. Piece by piece, the combined efforts of the Avengers and the X-Men began to reconstruct HYDRA's time portal. Jenny was able to perceive and correct any mistakes that occurred, and they were finished in just four weeks.

"Why can't I use it?" Jenny demanded, already antsy from having to wait for what had felt like an eternity.

Bruce sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose as he explained, "Because we don't have a location secured yet... You said that this thing almost tore the planet in half last time. Operating machinery like that... Well let's just say that SHIELD isn't too excited about it."

"But I already told you, it'll shut down once it absorbs the source. That's me."

"They want more proof," Tony said, sauntering into the room.

Jenny hoped she didn't look as distraught as she felt. "But... There isn't any..."

"I know." He watched her with an unreadable expression. "I'm sorry."

She didn't reply. Instead, she walked away, determined to get home. If that meant calling on this timeline's old enemy, so be it.

---

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Miss Xavier?"

Jenny took a deep breath. "I need you to help me steal something..."

"You of all people?" the man mused. "I never thought I'd see the day..."

"Listen, I don't have time to explain the whole story, but suffice to say, I'm not the Jenny you know, and I need the machine to get me back to my own world. Please... if you ever held any respect for my father at all, then help me... Uncle Erik..." She gave him a pleading look.

His gaze softened, and he stepped forward to cup her face in his hands. "Now that just isn't fair, my dear... You know I never could resist that face."

Jenny laughed softly, and he sighed.

"Very well then, what is it we're stealing?"

At that, she smirked. "Tell me... how do you feel about pulling the rug out from under SHIELD and the Avengers?"

---

"Okay, Uncle Erik... It's in the garage lab, so it should fit through the large automated door. Did Mystique disable the security?" Jenny asked.

Erik nodded. "And she'll distract your... friends."

Jenny rolled her eyes. "You never change..."

"Get ready," he said, seeming amused, but not otherwise acknowledging her remark.

"Let's go."

---

Erik walked a wide circle around the machine. "What did you say this contraption does again?"

"It creates a time portal by ripping a hole in the fabric of space and time... So before we turn it on, you need to get all of your people out of here. I think the machine will be destroyed afterwards... Just make sure no one might get pulled in."

He nodded slowly, making her pause.

"Is something wrong?" she asked.

Erik sighed. "I assume you know the nature of our relationship in this... timeline."

Jenny nodded. "It's... rocky."

"To say the least. Nevertheless... This little... adventure has made me realize how long it's been since we've..."

"Uncle Erik..." she murmured, "It isn't too late. When I go back, you'll have another chance with the Jenny from this timeline. Just... don't waste it."

He gave her a wistful smile and took her hand in his. "I won't... as long as you allow me to give you advice in return: Find closure. Look for Charles, even look for me if you feel so inclined... But speaking from experience, you cannot avoid your past forever. Even if you find that the news is disheartening, it will help so much more than you can imagine..."

"Thank you..." After a moment's hesitation, she hugged him. It had been odd, of course, to see how he had aged, but when he returned the gesture, Jenny knew right away that he was the same as ever. Finally, she stepped back. "You should go... make sure you're a safe distance away."

He dipped his head, and left with only one sad, lingering glance.

Once she was alone, Jenny surveyed the machine. She waited... then she flipped the switch.