Chapter 8

Explosions and gunfire raged around the Avengers. The HYDRA base was heavily defended, but the team had come prepared. They were spread out all over the area, each working on wearing down the enemy defenses.

"Nat, get over to Wanda. She's about to be overrun!" Jenny shouted to her friend. "I can handle the situation here."

As if to prove her point, she used her wings to twist herself upwards, kicking two stray agents into unconsciousness on her way down.

"I've got this, go!"

Natasha nodded and ran off to find the mind reader.

"Hey Tony!" Jenny called through the comms. "Clint is gonna need a lift in about 30 seconds, northeast corner of the roof!"

"I'm on it," came the reply.

"Jenny, what else have you got for me?" asked Steve's voice.

She paused to fend off an agent.

"Not much, as far as inner defenses," she called back. "I'm still not too great at controlling what I see, and battles are harder to predict since there's so many variables that are constantly changing."

"I understand," the Captain replied. "We'll just have to face it the old-fashioned way."

"Right up your alley then, Rogers," Jenny snarked.

"Haha, very funny, Agent X. You've been spending too much time with Stark."

"Well," she replied, dropping an agent off the roof, "He is my boyfriend, Cap."

-One Year Ago-

Jenny woke in a hospital bed with a sleepy Tony dozing at her side. Blinking the rest from her eyes, she nudged his hand with her own, jolting him awake.

"Jenny..." he whispered, sitting up. "You're okay!"

He smiled, but then it dropped.

"I- I thought..."

Before he could continue, Natasha walked through the door.

"Well, Stark? How is--"

She cut off, noticing Jenny's consciousness.

"You're awake, I see.

Jenny shyly nodded, her uncovered wings nervously drawing closer to her body. Then, she spoke.

"How long was I..."

"About twelve hours," the redhead shrugged. "You should have seen, Stark, he practically had a meltdown when they said it might be a while before you woke."

Tony shot her a glare.

"I did not..."

Perhaps it was just her imagination, but Jenny could have sworn she saw the faintest hint of a blush dusting his cheeks. After a brief pause, she addressed the assassin.

"I believe you had some questions for me, Agent Romanoff?"

Natasha seemed somewhat surprised by her eagerness.

"Are you sure you don't want to rest up a bit first?"

Jenny shook her head, readjusting her wings as she sat up.

"No. I think it's time to be honest with you..." she said, glancing at Tony. "All of you. After all, if I don't trust you, how can I expect any of you to trust me?"