Chapter 18

"I'm telling you that it's okay to make this choice, so if that's what's holding you back... don't let it. It's alright to do this. I can see how much you want to."

Jenny blinked and looked around, confused.

"Jenny? Are you okay? I know you're having a hard time even thinking about this, but–"

As soon as she focused on the person in front of her, Jenny cut Tony off with a kiss.

"I love you..." she whispered.

He blinked, looking confused. "I love you too... but–"

"No." She shook her head. "No 'but's. I've seen the future without you... It's not one I want to live, Tony..."

Frowning, he felt her forehead. "Did falling through that portal do something to you?"

Jenny laughed and shook her head. "I'm okay, Tony... Just... Stay with me. I can't change anything, no matter how hard it's going to be."

Tony nodded slowly. "If that's what you've decided... How much time do we have?"

"None."

---

Even though she knew what would happen if she changed things, that didn't mean it was any easier to stand aside and let a family member die. If there were any other way... but no, she had already seen how that turned out. Time was never meant to be messed with.

"If we're not staying, then how do we get home?" Tony asked.

Jenny sighed, watching forlornly as the mansion shrank in the side mirror. "You're not going to like this..."

Without Hank McCoy, there was only one other man capable of building what they needed, but Jenny knew he would be the last person Tony would want to see.

---

"Him? No, no way. There has to be someone else we can go to."

Jenny looked away as Tony glanced agonizingly between her and his childhood home.

"I'm sorry, Tony," she said, and she truly meant it, "But no one else can do this. Howard is the only one with the know-how, the technology, and the funding."

There was a moment of silence.

"Tony?"

"What?" he said sharply, not frustrated with her so much as with the inevitable situation. "What do you want me to say?"

She sighed. "Come on... Let's get this over with."

---

"I'll do all the talking if you want..." Jenny murmured to him as they waited for someone to respond to the doorbell.

Before he could respond, a tall, thin man with a kind face answered the door. Tony's face went slack.

The man gave him a strange look, but politely asked, "May I help you?"

As Tony continued to gape, Jenny decided it might be best to step in. "Mister Jarvis, I presume?"

"And you are?"

"We have a meeting with... Mister Stark. It is of the utmost urgency, and we need to see him right away."

Jarvis eyed her suspiciously, but nodded slowly after glancing at Tony. "But of course... I do recognize you, sir, but I seem to have forgotten your name?"

Tony said nothing. It was as if all he could do was stare.

"This is Doctor Hank McCoy," Jenny interjected. "You'll have to excuse him, he's rather jetlagged, you see..."

The man nodded and escorted them in. "I apologize, Mister Stark must have forgotten your appointment. I'll fetch him right away."

As soon as he was gone, she looked at Tony. "Are you alright?" she murmured. "I can do this alone, Tony, you don't have to face him."

He sighed and ran a hand over his face. "Are you sure? I don't want to–"

"Tony," she said firmly. "Go. Wait in the car."

"I... fine. Just... Don't go looking for younger me," he said, trying to make a joke.

"Hey, you met me, it's only fair..." she teased. "But fine..."

Almost as soon as he was gone, Jarvis returned with Howard Stark in tow.

"My apologies, Miss...?"

"Xavier."

"Miss Xavier..." he continued, "I must have lost our appointment."

"It's quite alright, Mister Stark. I didn't think you would remember it. Our exchange was brief, and I was one face among many. I imagine you met many people that night."

Howard eyed her suspiciously, but it quickly cleared into a pleasant smile. "Yes, I thank you for understanding. Now, what was it you wanted to discuss?"

Jenny took a deep breath. "It's... a very delicate matter, but it is an emergency. I must ask that... You listen to my whole story before you pass judgement."

He gave her a look that said 'Go on...',gesturing for her to have a seat on the couch. As soon as she was settled, Jenny told him as much as was safe to tell.

---

When she was done explaining herself, Jenny watched Howard carefully. His expression was hard to read, and her powers were no help at the moment.

Howard sighed and stood up.

"I think you should leave."

"What? But–"

"Jarvis, escort Miss Xavier here out, please," he called.

"You really should believe her, you know," came a voice.

Jenny looked over. There, in the doorway, stood Tony. Howard paused, looking at him uncertainly.

"Hi dad. We have a lot to talk about."

---

"So... the future, huh?"

"Yep," Tony replied carelessly. "And you'd have known that already if you had taken Jenny seriously. You never really were good at listening, though, especially to people you thought couldn't come up with a decent idea."

"Tony..." Jenny murmured warningly.

He looked over at her, steely at first, but then he relented.

"Listen, Howard, are you gonna help us or what?"

Jenny sighed. This wasn't going as smoothly as she had hoped.

"Of course I'll help... if you think I can."

Tony didn't say anything.

"Mister Stark..." Jenny said hesitantly, "You're the only one who can."

Her boyfriend shot her a glare, but she ignored it. There was no other way. To preserve the future, Jenny ran from her worst memory. In doing so, however, she had pushed Tony right into the arms of his.