Chapter 11

-Xavier Mansion, 1980-

After Erik had explained - albeit cryptically - what their predicament was, Charles had welcomed them with open arms, saying they could stay for as long as they needed. Raven grew quite attached to Jenny. In time, Erik grew to love her too. They had all formed something of a misfit family; they were all happy.

Until the past caught up with Erik and Raven - and the future caught up with them all.

-HYDRA Base, Present Day-

The experiments were back. HYDRA was merciless. They were determined to discover and exploit her cosmic awareness abilities, specifically her ability to see a person's past or future.

They were trying to build something, a machine to change the game to their favor.

It was fortunate that the Avengers found them when they did.

The alarms blared throughout the compound, lights flashing everywhere.

"Jenny," Tony called. "Jenny, they've found us."

Jenny pulled herself to her feet, removing the small bit of wire they had concealed from its hiding place. She handed it to Tony, who began to pick the lock.

"Got it."

The door sprung open and Tony took Jenny's hand in his, leading her down the hall. They managed to avoid most of the guards, right up until the last stretch of hallway. A HYDRA agent stepped in front of the pair, blocking their escape. With no weapons to defend themselves, Tony and Jenny held up their hands in surrender. Suddenly, however, the agent was taken down by a blue blur.

"You didn't see that coming?" the speedster smirked.

The smile dropped, however, upon seeing their condition.

"What did they do to you?"

An explosion rocked the ground.

"Never mind that, I've got to get you out of here. I found Stark and Sparrow. We're heading your way," Pietro called into his comm.

He lead the group out of the base. Jenny nearly collapsed, but Tony supported her weight.

"What are they doing?" the Sokovian remarked.

A few HYDRA operatives had made it back to their outdoor control board which was attached to some strange looking panels arranged in a circle, and were now desperately working on something.

Jenny stopped in her tracks.

"Oh no..."

"Jenny?" Tony called to her. "What is it? What's going on?"

"They did it..." she whispered. "I- I can see..."

She suddenly cried out, pressing a hand to her head.

"Jenny! What's wrong?" Tony asked urgently.

The ground shook, sending the trio down into the dirt. In the center of the circle of panels, a golden light began to glow and swirl, widening out. The HYDRA agents ran away, suddenly panicking. Whatever this was, it obviously wasn't what they were expecting. This thing was out of control.

"We have to get back to the jet!" Pietro called. "The others might be able to figure out what this is and shut it down."

"You can't," Jenny gasped. "It can't be undone... Not until it devours everything."

"What do you mean? Sweetheart, what is it?"

Jenny shook her head as if trying to shake of a bad headache.

"They-- agh! They tried to meddle with time... but they can't control it. It's going to consume everything. Unless..."

"Unless what?" Tony inquired.

"Unless it absorbs the source."

Tony hesitated.

"Do we know what the source is? I have a feeling I'm not gonna like the answer..."

Jenny looked him in the eye, her tone grim.

"Me."

At Tony's unreadable expression, she continued.

"They used my abilities in order to make this thing work, and it draws its power from me..."

She took both of his hands in her own.

"It's not gonna stop, Tony. It'll pull the whole planet into the vortex, and then the galaxy, and the next galaxy, until the entire universe is just nothing..."

There was a wind coming from the vortex, pulling at all of them. Although, Jenny seemed to be affected the most.

"No! I can't... I can't lose you! Please..." Tony begged.

"Tony..."

Jenny nearly lost her footing as the pull grew stronger, but Tony held her up.

"Tony, you have to let me go," she said, struggling to free herself from his hold.

The earth shook again and both of them went down, Jenny sliding toward the vortex.

"No!" Tony yelled, diving after her.

He managed to grab ahold of her hand as her feet nearly touched the swirling light.

"Tony, you have to trust me! This is better for everyone!"

"It's not better for me! I'll always trust you, Jenny, just tell me that you see this turning out okay and I'll do what you say!"

She looked at him, her face filled with pain.

"I don't know, Tony. I can't see anything, I don't know what's gonna happen to me. But please, if I don't do this, then everything ends."

Tony hesitated.

"Okay."

And with that, he let go.

And they both fell into the vortex together.