Chapter 21

The first sensation the kitten felt was a warm cushion underneath them; that was strange because they're sure that they were sleeping on the prickly glass at the edge of the clearing next to their mother. Knowing that, the kitten shot open their eyes and made to stand up but, almost instantly, groaned and lied back down from nausea and a feeling of weakness.

"You shouldn't get up so quickly," Hikari looked up from the book she was reading. The book was titled, "History of Marines & Pirates" although there is a second book, "How to Take Care of a Kitten", that's hidden in front of the first book. It's not like she had no experiences with cats; Fairy Tail had exceeds and they're cats but they're not non magical and they have wings. It's better to know how to take care of actual normal kittens (even when they consumed a devil fruit) instead of asking the kitten themself.

Hikari would rather spend time getting to know the kitten rather than ask them questions that are already answered in the book. For example, kittens and cats should not consume chocolate, raw meat, dairy products, etc. She's pretty sure Happy, Charla, and Lily can consume those though. She guesses magical cats have a more tolerable stomach.

The kitten looks towards the voice and relaxes upon seeing the white-haired girl. "Right, nya. It wasn't a dream..." The kitten thought the last sentence although it was more a muttering to themself.

Hikari stood up from her chair and put two bowls in front of the kitten; one bowl was filled with water from the stream and the other of freshly caught fish. The kitten muttered a thanks, their eyes already fixated on the delicious water and tasty fish.

As the kitten was drinking and eating their meal, Hikari noticed that the kitten, however hungry they were, did not rush in gulping the water and devouring the fish. Instead, the kitten lapped the water slowly and ate the fish slowly and savoring its taste with a well practice ease. That causes Hikari to frown internally. There must've been a lot of days where finding food was hard.

When the kitten finished their meal, they thanked Hikari telepathically.

Hikari just nodded and took the bowls to wash in the sink. That gave the kitten time to survey their surroundings: a kotatsu in the middle of the living room with a glass of water on top, a small bookshelf that held some books, a black, rectangular carpet in front of the tan couch the kitten is currently on, a candelabra, and several openings or doors in the wall that leads to glimpses of other rooms. One opening led to a small kitchen where Hikari is at and the others are doors that are open. All the doors are wooden: one door revealed a small, comfy room with a bed and a small, mahogany desk, and a small, square window with silver curtains, another led to a pantry with shelves filled with emergency supplies.

"Is this your home, nya?" The kitten sniffed the air. "It smells new and it doesn't have much of your scent."

Hikari came back with the water bowl filled with water and set it next to the kitten for easy reach. "Yes, I built this house not too long ago and just started living here. It's a temporary home and hidden from prying eyes."

The kitten hummed. "It's a nice house, nya." The house feels warm and the kitten feels safe here, like they're meant to relax here and forget about their troubles.

"Thank you." Hikari can't help but feel pride at her home. It took a lot of work because she wants her home to be more authentic and more her. Thus, she literally built her home without her powers and got most of the materials to build the house from the forest. The rest of the materials were bought from the general store. "My name is Hikari. What should I call you? I wouldn't want to generalize your name to kitten."

The kitten widens their eyes in shock. "Oh! I forgot to tell you my name! Sorry! My name's Lavender, nya! Nice to meet you!"

"That'a a lovely name. It's nice to meet you too."