Chapter 24

The den den mushi rang the moment the duo time traveled to a week later. Hikari found the date and and year on the newspaper she paid for by a passing News Coo. Although the News Coos were probably going to alerted to not deliver newspapers to her anymore because of Lavender's attempt to make the bird her dinner. Never mind that the bird won't fit in the kitten's mouth, she wanted to follow her instincts.

"Hello?"  Hikari accepted the call.

"Ummm...Is this Hikari?" A familiar voice answered hesitantly, sounding as if he was unsure about calling her in the first place.

"Yes. And I assume you're the boy I met in Loguetown?" Come to think of it, Hikari didn't introduce herself. And she never asked the boy's name. Hikari mentally facepalmed. She should've introduced herself and at least get his name. Then, maybe poor boy won't be this awkward interacting with her.

"Yeah." An awkward silence followed before Smoker cleared his throat and introduced himself. "My name is Smoker. I really appreciate you helping me out. What's your name?" Hikari's den den mushi showed the determined eyes of Smoker.

"My name is Hikari. And there's no need to thank me again. How are you?" Lavender jumped down from her shoulder and swatted a dandelion near Hikari's feet, round, feline eyes holding a playful, curious gleam. Hikari smiled down at the carefree kitten before taking a seat a couple steps away from the dandelion to allow enough space for the kitten to play.

"I'm fine, thank you." Smoker's voice sounded less tense than before. "Are you available right now?" Smoker finally said. He saved up enough money to buy ice cream for the both of them. It's a perfect excuse to get to know the girl better. She seemed nice and he didn't make fun of his hair like the other kids did. That's not to say he doesn't have any friends and that he believes the nasty things kids say to him. On the contrary, he does have friends: 2 friends. Those two friends stuck by him even though other kids insulted him. The insults the kids threw at him were just plain annoying to him instead of hurtful.

Hikari hummed. "Yes, I'm available." This is probably the only meeting that caused her to time travel a week later. Her powers are weird that way; it always time travels to the moment where she's needed. She can control where she time travels but she finds that letting her powers take her whenever is convenient. She wouldn't have to see the future to see where someone calls her or wants to meet her.

"Okay, how about meeting me at the place where we met at 2pm? I have enough money for ice cream." Smoker absentmindedly patted his pocket to make sure the money was there. Smoker's mother's head poked out of the kitchen with a sly smile on her face.

Lavender's tail swished back and forth as she prepared to pounce on the dandelion. When she found the right moment, she pounced with her claws out. Some of the dandelion's seeds floated off the plant in a wide arc, looking like a mini firework. Lavender, fascinated by the moving seeds, jumped and tried to catch the seeds. Every time she jumped, the seeds would move out of her paw's range by the wind from her jumps and swipes. She tried a couple times before she finally caught one and made the mistake of biting it.

"Gross!" The kitten yowled. The kitten tried to spit the seed out, her tongue rapidly trying to get rid of the foul taste.

"Pfft. Oh my goodness!" Hikari laughed.

The kitten's glare while trying to spit the seed out only caused Hikari to laugh more and fall on her back.

"Uh, is everything okay?" Smoker didn't know why Hikari was laughing. He didn't think he said something funny. In fact, he's the most serious person in his family and friends. He doesn't crack jokes or smile much. Little kids found his smile terrifying.