THE BEGINNING

It began that certain day seven years ago

It began that certain day seven years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday; the images... the fear so vividly, almost like it was permanently embedded in the back of my brain, there to remind me every now and then of the horrors that occurred.

Running. I had to keep running. My chest hurt, like my insides were on fire and my legs felt as if they were slowly turning into cement, my steps seeming sluggish and tired; but, I had to keep going. I wouldn't die, not here, not now.

Luke and I had Grover on each shoulder, him having twisted his ankle on a spare branch on the ground and in no condition to walk on his own. Annabeth and Thalia weren't too far behind, running as fast as their nine-year-old legs could carry them. We were all tired and hurting, but with the camp's entrance only a few meters away, we pushed ourselves. We could make it, or that's what we thought at least.

"We won't make it." I cried, tears streaming down my cheeks at the thought of being crushed to death by the monster chasing us.

"Yes, we will-" Luke Castellan, a boy who ended up being my first boyfriend, but also my first hate, reassures, "keep going."

"I-I can't." I wheezed out, my little lungs no match for the harsh conditions. I wonder now how I had gotten so strong, so agile where I could now run twelve miles without breaking a sweat. I wish that were the case then, and maybe I wouldn't feel so guilty now.

"You guys go-" Thalia, one of the strongest of our friends, a sweet little girl with cropped black hair and the bluest eyes you've ever seen, the daughter of Zeus, nodded at us. She was willing to risk her life just so we could make it to the camp safely.

"No, Thalia." Cried Annabeth. She was always the closest to Thalia.

"Go!" Thalia pulled out a small knife and faced our attacker.

We had to practically drag Annabeth away, the girl kicking and screaming and begging us to let her help her best friend. But, it was too late. Thalia ended up dying that day, by the hands of a cyclops. And everyday I still think of her, of her bravery. Because of Thalia, camp half-blood is protected by a barrier.. her oak tree providing us with strength so no one would end up like Zeus' only daughter.