Nervous

Chapter Five: Nile

"So, do I get to call you a punk now or later?" Jake asked. Funny how the guy asking the question is currently fluffing pillows and adjusting the blankets. It's still weird having my brother back, but I have enjoyed it.

"Want to say that to my face, baby brother?"

"By a minute. One minute."

"Not my fault you've always been slower." Ensuring there were enough snacks, I check the laptop one last time. Wiping my hands on my jeans, I try to calm my racing nerves. What if she doesn't like this or worse thinks it is completely lame. Looking at the field where our school held its field day, I wonder if maybe an actual dinner and a movie would have been a better way to celebrate our anniversary. I am positive Manny forgot, which makes me wonder if this was going to make her happy or feel terrible.

"Just wait until school starts."

"Still won't be able to beat me, brother." Clapping my back, I try to hide my reaction, but if the look on Jake's face says anything, I didn't hide it well.

"I'm sorry." He said. Have you ever been tired of hearing that simply mean well? I'm sorry. Those words have been said, whispered, and even reflected on the faces of anyone who looked at me. The words did nothing. They did not add anything to me or even erase what had happened. All they did was make me feel as though I were a charity case.

"It's okay."

"Nah, it's not but-" Neither of us was going to talk about it. "Let's finish up your surprise."

I have to remember to thank Ace for helping me get the truck. Ace is the only person I know who has a pickup truck. Something about not having to shovel snow or ever use a Uhaul again. So owing him a favor is a small price to pay to make Manny's Pinterest dreams come true. She has shown me way too many random pictures of pickup trucks and candlelight dinners for me not to know she is the epitome of a teenage girl. So this is how I ended up putting together what I hope to be the perfect date.

"Lex said they're pulling up. I'm gonna hide over there and make sure the projector is good."

"Thanks, man." Running to the side of the shed where the sporting equipment was placed, he left me alone to wait. Man, I hope she likes this. If not, I have just become the bud of every joke known to man and teenage boys. Uncle Mike will never let me live this one down if it turns out to be a complete flop. Is this supposed to be this hard? I mean Manny is simple, I bought her a cookie once for no reason, and she almost cried. Honestly, she still reminds me of that cookie. But what if this is too over the top and entirely uncalled for? Damn it, I should have bought the girl a burger with some candles.

"No loser, the prize is not someone trying to kill you! Remind me to not let you watch scary movies anymore." I could hear Manny and Lex's conversation as they rounded the corner of the field. Soon they would hit the pathway of candles, and I will either die from embarrassment or well that seems to be the only option.

"Did you make me change so I wouldn't get blood on my dress when I die? I know you like that dress!" Manny whispered. She can't whisper to save her life.

"A little club soda or maybe some ammonia would get that blood right out. I mean, why would I do that?"

"I'm just going to pretend that you didn't just say that." Listening to their conversation is not helping my racing heart. This was stupid. Who let me do this? You would think someone would have told me I was crazy. Too late now. Manny Lex pushes Manny onto the candlelit pathway and runs behind the shed. I assume to find my brother. Manny's face told her every mood, and right now, she is confused and nervous. Maybe I should come from behind the truck. Wow, am I always such an idiot? Moving from around the truck, I watch as her face shifts from confused to at ease. But she's still nervous. The purple shirt I'm positive Lex only got because she wanted it looks good on her.

"What is this?" She asked before slipping her lip back into her mouth.

"Happy anniversary curly sue." walking into my arms, I swallow down the nerves that have taken residence in my throat. Rubbing her arms, I watch as realization slips onto her face.

"No, I forgot!"

"I know you did." Smiling, I kiss the top of her head.

" What did you do?"

"It's a movie date."

"In the back of a truck?" Her already big eyes got bigger. Gripping my forearm tightly, she looks up at me. The smile on her face could make anyone give in to her.

"This is my surprise!" Pulling away from me, she jumps into the bed of the truck covered in blankets and pillows. Making herself comfortable, she touched everything. Whenever Manny is excited, she can't sit still. Her hands explored every inch of the area. I made sure some of the pillows had inspirational sayings on them. The kind that she's obsessed with.

"I want this one for my room!" Holding up a pillow that read 'love every moment. Laugh every day. Live beyond words.'

"They're all yours."

"Are you coming?" She asked, sitting up on her knees, patting the spot next to her. Damn it, everything she does drives me crazy. Taking a seat next to her, I try not to feel like an awkward teenager, but right now, our roles are definitely reversed. Typically she's the one that is nervous or unsure. As the movie started, thank you, Jake, I release a breath I didn't know I was holding in. Screw this. Wrapping my arm around her waist, I pull Manny close to me.

"Took you long enough." She wiggles around until she's completely comfortable. With her head lying on my chest and a chocolate bar held captive in her hands, she settles. I wonder if she can hear how fast my heart is beating. I really hope that my palms aren't as clammy as they feel.

"Hey." She says, lifting herself up so that she's looking down [=at me she turns her back to the screen.

"Yeah."

"Want to see something?" She smiled slyly. Her fingers tracing my jaw. Ignoring the sensation, I try to focus on her words. Her fingers moving slowly, but I could feel them shaking as she walked along. Not wanting to break her concentration, I nod. Concentration shifting to determination, she leaned in. I wanted to close the gap desperately, but I let her take the lead, knowing she needed to do this. Her lips brush mine lightly at first and then with more determination. It doesn't take much to get me to respond to her. It's hard not to fight her for dominance, but following Manny's lead is doing more for me than I expected. She's not close enough. Pulling her lightly until she's straddling me. Her kiss is gentle and careful, but her hands spoke a different story.

Deciding to listen to her hands, I sit up, taking her with me. But before she could fully catch her breath, my lips were back on hers. Wrapping her legs around my waist, she gives me more access. Kissing Manny is definitely one of my favorite things. We weren't fighting for dominance. She had given me full control. A feeling I am still getting used to. My hands played at the hem of her shirt. She squirms as my hand connect with the sensitive skin on her lower back.

Crack. pulling out of my kiss, Manny screams. Thank you, heat lightning.