Kill Me

Does time really stand still when bad things are happening or are we just gluttons for punishment. The sickening crash sounded over the music. Pulling away from me, Nile races to the front of the house where the sound is coming from. Shrieking car alarms roar to life only further adding to the noise. If the guys didn't know their neighbors before they were going to know them now. Following  quickly behind the small crowd heading to the front I silently pray that no one is hurt. As selfish as it sounds the last thing any of us needed was for a situation to happen that needed the cops to be involved.

"Kennedy STOP!" The voice boomed through the street. The black car slammed into the back of a parked car leaving the bumper on the ground. A guy I haven't seen before pulled at the driver's seat door. His muscles flexed to no avail as a look of fury took ownership of his face. His body ridgid as he tries to get the girl out of the car. The small crowd forming around the crash begins to double in size as neighbors begin to come out of their homes.

"Don't yell at her, it's only going to make it worse." Nile says stepping closer to the guy. Their faces illuminated by the street lights.

"Manny what happened?" Lex asks, her and Jake coming to stand next to me. The look on their faces mirroring my thoughts.

"I don't know. We were in the back when we heard the crash."

"What's Nile doing?" Jake asked.

"Not sure but he's talking to the guy." I say, still focusing on the exchange going on. The guy doesn't seem to be listening and if we were on television Nile would be about three seconds away from being punched in the face. As if getting the same feeling Jake leaves us and heads over to the guys.

"Who's in the car?" Lex asks.

"Kennedy, one of the girls from the other school. I think she's one of the new captains of the new team."

People continue to spill out of the house as the incessant car alarms blare. The noise is only growing louder as the guys try to coax a clearly inebriated Kennedy out of the car.

    " I knew this would happen when they moved in." Mr. Smith fails to whisper to his wife. The couple standing in their bathrobe with clear disgust written on their face. Watching the scene unfold only made it more apparent how screwed we are.

    "That tattooed boy lets those children run rampant." His wife adds, talking about uncle Mike. I remember the day he showed us the house. He was so excited you could feel it ebbing off of him. Jake had said they lived in a pretty small apartment before, so this house was an upgrade. The Smiths stood on their front porch staring the entire time we walked around the property. I only had the pleasure of meeting them once, thanks to my father. They seemed nice enough, but from what Lex tells me, they found a problem with everything.

    "What are they looking at?" Lex asks.

    "Shh, they can hear you," I whisper, nudging her a bit further from the couple.

    "Good. Maybe now they'll be aware that we can hear them too." She bites back.

    "Young lady, if you and your friends were not out here waking the entire neighborhood, we would not have any reason to be here. We're just waiting for the police."

    Did he say police? Does that mean my prayers didn't work? As if wanting to drill the knife into my back further, the sirens blared throughout the street. Bright blue and red lights flashing followed by an ambulance.

    "Manny, you're going to have to call your dad," Lex says, pulling me away from the scene. Time dragging on as the vehicles forced the crowd to dissipate. A few people racing off, trying to leave before anyone could be questioned.