Double Trouble

The quiet car only further amplified the anger ebbing off of my dad. Knuckles white as he holds the steering wheel intent on getting us home before saying a word about tonight. Staring at the  paper the officer handed him sitting on the dashboard I fought the urge to read it. His face has been straight ahead, his eyes focused on the road ahead as if a slight glance away would cause him to miss something monumental. His clenched jaw shifting only every so often. Silence resting in the car like a blanket no one asked for left each of us alone without thoughts.

"Dad" I whisper, the sound loud enough to nick the armour of silence but not enough for anyone other than him to hear. His jaw clenches and unclenches. Adjusting his hold on the steering wheel his eyes stayed focused on the road.

"Manuela, not now" He says, teeth gritted and eyes not even granting me the satisfaction of a glance. Pulling my feet from under me, the familiar tinge of pain from biting down on my lip too hard setting in. Ignoring the pain I continue to gnaw on the corner. The familiar sensation gives me something to focus on.

"Lex, this is your stop." Dad says, unlocking the door long enough for her to get out.

    "Thanks Mr. A" Lex says low enough not to disturb the silence we have all somehow been tip toeing around. Looking at her through the rearview mirror I smile slightly. Three fingers wiggling a half attempt at waving goodbye.

    "I'll pick you up tomorrow so you guys can clean up," Dad says, adjusting his hold on the wheel. The low grunt from Lex surprises even her. If we were in a different place, I'd probably laugh at her inability to control her mouth.

    "You didn't really think you weren't going to clean that house did you? Double trouble back there will be leading the cause."

    We knew better than to laugh or make a comment. None of us wanted to challenge the situation at hand. It was all so strange. Whenever dad was upset with me he would make a joke about it. He often said he didn't want any of the eighteen years he had with me be spent being angry with me. The joke was always more for him than for me but right now I'd give anything for a cheesy joke. I've been in trouble before but it has never lasted longer than fifteen minutes. We're about two minutes beyond the fifteen minute mark and he's showing no signs of giving in. Even when he couldn't look at me after my mom died, he still listened when I spoke. The deafening silence only further served as a reminder that this time is different. Bringing the car to a stop in front of the house, dad makes no move to leave.

    "When we get inside if you guys are hungry there is food in the fridge so help yourselves. You guys can sleep in Nile's old room. Manny meet me in my office in ten minutes please." He says before locking the car. The cool air and silence lingered between the three of us as we watched his retreating back. As if waiting for the door to shut we all stare at the door. If it was possible even the ugly gnome on the lawn was waiting for dad to close the door. As soon as the door slammed the silence went with it.

    "Well if fall wasn't here before, the cold front has definitely arrived." Jake says breaking the silence. His hands shoved in his pockets. His eyes focused on the cracks in the driveway as though nothing else mattered. I think this is as close to speechless as Jake would ever come.

    "Uncle Mike's gonna kill us" Nile says.

    "He's going to be mad but we'll be okay." Jake says his voice is calm compared to Ni;e's terror stricken voice. His face covered with confusion and fear. I've seen that face before.

    "That car is totaled. Plus the house is  trashed. Don't have a party was probably implied when he was listing off his rules."

    "He didn't say that so it wasn't clear."