keeping warm

"Shit!" Jennie exclaimed, turning her key for the umpteeth time but failing– again– to restart the car. "I knew this thing sounded funny when I started it before we left." She tried one last time before ultimately giving up and slamming her fist on the steering wheel. "Damnit!"

"Jennie, hey. It's okay," Jisoo said, next to her, leaning over from the passenger seat to look at the dashboard. "What does that symbol mean?"

Jennie focused her eyes on the small, bright red icon that was displayed and groaned in frustration before closing her eyes in defeat. "I'm pretty sure that means the battery's dead," she said, dropping her head back hard against her headrest. "Fuck!"

Jisoo chuckled. Jennie was always so easily flustered. "Stop shouting," she said, trying to ease her girlfriend. "We'll just call triple A and they'll come and give us a jump start. We'll be fine."

"Chu," Jennie said, turning her head to the side to look at her. "It's the night of Christmas Eve. I'm pretty sure they're closed by now."

Jisoo pouted a bit. Jennie did have a very good point.

"Well, let's find out," Jisoo said,optimistically, picking her cell phone up from the center cup holder and searching for the number. "It's worth a shot."

Jennie watched her for a moment before sitting up straight in her seat and taking a deep breath. "Alright, well, while you do that," she said, reaching down to pop open the car hood. "I'll go take a look under the hood."

Jisoo had found the number but furrowed her brow as Jennie moved to open her door. "No, babe, don't," she said. "It's freezing out there."

A chill ran up Jennie's spine, almost on cue, as she placed a hand on the door handle. "It's fine," she said, pulling and pushing it open. "I won't take long." She smirked at Jisoo's disapproving expression before turning to exit the vehicle, into the snow. "Don't worry. If I get too cold, I'll come back."

"You better," Jisoo warned, her protective instincts over Jennie coming through, which Jennie secretly loved.

"I will!" Jennie laughed, shutting the door and winking through the glass before gripping tight onto her black parka and walking to the front of the car.

Jisoo watched as Jennie lifted the car hood and disappeared behind it before selecting the phone number she had found and giving triple A a call. To her disappointment, Jennie had been right and the business was already closed for the night. She sucked her teeth and dropped her head back against her headrest in defeat.

"Shit." Despite the multiple layers of clothing she had on, sitting in a car with no working heater while it snowed outside was starting to get to her. She tensed her body and crossed her legs in an attempt to retain her body heat as much as she could, and she could only imagine how much colder Jennie probably was outside.

She must have been pretty cold, because it hadn't even been five minutes before Jennie had reappeared and opened the driver's seat door to dive back into her seat.

"Fuck!" she said, quivering in place as she brought her bare hands up to her mouth to blow into them.

"Aww," Jisoo whined. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm f-f-fine," Jennie shivered, rubbing her hands together. "It's just really, r-really cold outside." She shoved her hands under her armpits to warm them. "My hands are freezing."

"Here," Jisoo said, removing her grey gloves without hesitation. "Take my gloves."

"What? No. I'm not taking your gloves," she said, refusing to accept the offer. "Then your hands will be cold."