the neighborly thing to do

Jennie likes her new house.

No, that's not accurate.

She loves it.

It's hers. She's worked her ass off for a decade and she's a homeowner at twenty-eight. It's not the mansion some of her producing peers have, but it's respectable for a single twenty-something first-time homeowner, and she knows she'll get up into those Hollywood Hills eventually.

The neighborhood is nice, too. It's lined with other single-family homes similar in size and design to her own white house with its gray roof and black shutters. Green boulevards and oak trees that arched from both sides of the street to meet in the middle and it was super domestic and "adult," but she couldn't splash down the bachelorette pad cash yet.

She's standing in her yard - she has a yard now, that she's going to have to mow (or pay someone to mow) - supervising the movers unloading the truck that toted her entire life across Los Angeles from her studio apartment to her two-bedroom house when she sees her presumed new neighbor bounce down the front steps and down the walkway to the sidewalk where they wait for the movers to cross with Jennie's couch. Jennie can't help but watch, wondering what type of people live in the area and this particular neighbor is...well Jennie's not blind; she has eyes. Her neighbor is pretty, at least from a distance, with wavy cinnamon-colored hair and a nice little figure that's being shown off with white short-shorts and a sleeveless teal blouse and flip-flops and -

"Hi!"

Jennie blinks, not realizing this neighbor has walked right up to her until she's spoken. "Oh, hey."

"I'm Jisoo," the woman says, flashing a brilliant smile as she offers her hand for shaking.

Jennie shakes it and she has to look away because those eyes are going to bore a hole into her soul if she looks at them too long. "Jennie."

"Moving in?"

She bites her tongue to stop the answer that probably would include the words 'Captain Obvious.' "Yep!"

"Awes! And your husband's unpacking?"

Jennie's head nods with an internal laugh. "It's just me." She sees the other girl bite her lip for a second and she has to look away again, taking the moment to shout instructions to the movers with the boxes they're carrying labeled VINYLS.

"You have this whole big house to yourself?"

This Jisoo sure likes to ask a lot of questions... "Yeah. I mean, it's not that big." She's two seconds from sharing too much personal information with this stranger and stops herself to redirect. "What about you? You got a husband over there?"

Jisoo's laugh is high-pitched and delightful. "Oh my gosh, definitely not. I live with my roommate, Lisa."

Jennie quirks a smile at that. She knows the cautionary lingo. She's had 'roommates' before. "Lisa?"

"Yeah! Been friends for years. I'd invite you over to meet her but she's at her boyfriend's this weekend."

Oh. Actual roommates. "That's cool. I'm busy with all this anyway." She gestures at the moving truck which looks to be nearly empty.

Jisoo fidgeted for a few seconds and then bounced a little. This girl seemed very bouncy. "Well, I was just on my way to pick up a few things at the grocery store down the street. Nice day, so I'm walking. I'd be happy to show you around the neighborhood, or tell you where things are and how to avoid the school zones."

Jennie finally offers a genuine smile. It's hard to play it stand-offish with this chick. "That'd be cool."

"Yay! Well, I'll let you get back to it. Welcome to the neighborhood!" Jisoo's hand touches her forearm for the briefest second and then she's gone and Jennie turns to watch her walk away.