□ Chapter Seven

We don't speak after we board. We stand in a simple room I can only compare to a holding cell, all quiet. It's not surprising that Finian is the only one to break the quiet with a muttered,

“Well, isn't this cozy?”

The room is small, made of burnished steel and rows of fluorescent lights. There's nothing in the room save for benches on the walls and a singular water cooler that Finian filled a cup up from. Everyone’s scattered around on benches, with Kaliis sitting the furthest away. Anyone who came close enough got a sharp scowl thrown their way.

“I know you Terrans aren't the most stylish race in the Milky Way, but I swear this looks more like a holding cell,” Finian presses. I couldn't exactly see where he was coming from when I knew Betraskan’s lived in caves underground. How stylish could a subterranean hovel be, precisely?

Scarlett leans forward, a sweet smile on her face as she bats her lashes. “Oh do go on,” She implores. “Honestly, I could just listen to you bitch and moan all day, Finain.”

Finian claims the spot beside me, sprawling out over it to the point I am nearly pushed off the edge. He sighs loudly, head draped in my lap. “I'm too old for this crap,” He complains.

“You are barely nineteen, Legionnaire de Seel,” Zila states absently.

“Yeah. And I'm too old for this crap.”

I politely push his head out of my lap.

“Knock it off,” Tyler commands, sounding irritable. “All of you.”

I sigh, rubbing my eyes with the palms of my hands. I can't settle on one emotion to attach myself to, so I seem to float over them on a wave of unsureness. We were shepherded in here for debriefing, but there's been no one. So I've been left to think- which is about the last thing I want to do.

My head was never quiet, that much was true. I always had the constant buzz of thoughts in my ear, but it was especially bad when it came to thinking about my family. Let's just say homelife was nearly nonexistent for me.

Jude.

I sigh again.

“Are you having difficulties breathing or…” Finian’s quiet voice trails off beside me.

“Sorry, habit I guess.”

I catch Scarlett shoot Tyler a purposeful look before leaning in, tucking red hair behind her ear. “That Lieutenant. Do you know her?”

I snorted. “Of course I do. That's Lieutenant Jude Espina.”

"And?" Finian paused before he let out a drawn out ‘oh’ noise.

No one pressed further, so I didn't elaborate. I just let the fact hang in the air. Kaliis regarded me coldly out the corner of his eye, his eyebrow raised almost inquisitively.

Whatever hesitant silence that had settled over the group was quickly broken by a series of loud bumping noises in the hallways and angry yelling in a very distinct accent. The door whistles open, and I catch a glimpse of Jude just beyond it.

She's quick to avert her gaze as our resident Ace stumbles in swearing. Her face is red and I can see an artery appearing on her forehead with anger.

One of the troopers hits the controls for the door and it shuts as Catherine aims a kick. It leaves a scuffed mark, and she proceeds to yell at the door.

"Yeah, you better run, you gutless prick!"

Scarlett's on her feet in an instant, reaching out a cautious hand. "Cat? Are you ok?"