12 - Mixed Signals

Liam, Dean and Louis were back on board just before dawn. The last rays of light still brightened the sky a little, while the opposite side to the dawning sun was coated in a deep, dark shade of blue with little stars twinkling faintly.

Meanwhile, the crew on the ship was already preparing everything for when they would leave Spain's coast again. Their next destination being England. At least that's what Louis was told. After all, Harry probably wanted to get the treasure now. He'd been promised the exact location by Louis, so they might as well go and get it. Louis frankly had no problem pointing them into the direction.

In fact, it would probably be a good idea to check if Louis' theory was true and a quick visit to Harry's quarters could not only give him the answer he needed, it would also provide some welcomed entertainment.

So Louis said his goodbyes to both Liam and Dean, and specifically thanked Liam again for the new blouse, before he left the scene, only to end up in front of Harry's doorstep. Just like all those times he visited him before, in the past.

He carefully knocked on the door, waiting for that muffled "come in" like he heard it so many years ago. He pushed the door open and stepped into the room, closing it mere seconds after he entered.

Harry was sitting at his usual spot, going through the checklist he had made earlier to cross out everything they got from the trip to the town.
,,What do you want?" Harry asked blatantly.
The work probably was dull enough to lower his good mood from before. Now he came across a little more bored and busy.
,,Just wanted to inform you that I won." Louis grinned, taking a few steps towards the captain's desk.

,,That's pathetic."
,,What is? That I won?"
,,Yes."

Louis felt a little insulted. It didn't hurt his self-esteem, but it still bothered him that Harry didn't show him the interest or approval he thought he would get. He didn't even pretend to care. Not even a single compliment or notion of kindness. No more showering him in compliments.

,,That's rude." Louis added, looking at the ground to hide how much he didn't like Harry's disinterested over his little put somewhat meaningful achievement. Especially after he had lost time and time again while fighting against Styles.
,,It's not. It's pathetic. You can tell me when you successfully fought an actual pirate. Not a guy who can barely hold a sword."
,,He's not that bad." Louis mouthed, but he got nothing back. ,,Let me enjoy my little achievement."

Harry most likely just rolled his eyes and kept ignoring him. It was hard for Louis to tell, cause he would not look up. Not even for a spare second.
,,Anyways. What's next on the agenda? Are we going to England or..."
,,Soon."
,,Alright." Louis bit his bottom lip, keeping his words from spilling out. He didn't want to talk too much, fearing that Harry might get angry or kick him out if he mindlessly rambled some more. After all, his mood swings were unpredictable at times. But now it got quiet and neither Harry, nor Louis liked that.

,,Was that all? You wanted to disturb my work for that?"
,,Yea, kinda. I don't know. It's really an old habit of being here by evening." Louis smirked.

Harry's eyes finally glanced up at him as he brought up such a key memory from the past. From when everything was still easy. When Harry would basically wait for Louis to show up in his room.

Harry thought for a moment, before he put down his quill and got up from behind his desk. But it was not what Louis had said that sparked his interest. It was something else.
,,Where did you get that from?" Harry suddenly asked, gesturing at Louis' new blouse.
,,Oh. Liam got it for me. Isn't that nice of him."
,,I can't believe it." Harry quietly muttered to himself, turning his face away from Louis. His facial expression changed in the blink of an eye and his body language said it all. He was absolutely baffled by how his crew went behind his back so shamelessly.
,,What? Don't you like it?" Louis asked, picking at the material.