Chapter Four

Chapter Four

It was lunchtime on Friday and I was complaining to Sam about the dinner I was being forced to go to the following night.

    “Who knows,” Sam said twisting open the cap of her water bottle, “Maybe this son will be cute.”

    “What are the chances of that?” I said eating a fry. “The only cute guys I see lately are celebrities.”

     “Don’t be such a pessimist Tay,” she said taking a swig of her water.

    “Hey guys,” a male voice said and we both looked in that direction. It was Jazmyn Swan, Brixton Jones and Leanne Chang, three of our closest friends walking towards us.

    “Hey,” Sam and I said in unison. Leanne slid into the empty seat beside me while Jazmyn took the seat beside Sam and Brixton took the empty seat at the head of the table.

    “What’s up?” Lee said as she placed the camera that she always carried around on the table top along with her lunch tray.

    “Lunch?” Sam said slowly. Lee rolled her eyes as Sam laughed lightly. “We were just talking about this dinner that Tay is being forced to go to by her mum.”

    “Oh?” Jazmyn asked as she reached across the table to steal a fry of mine. I tried to smack her hand away but she had already pulled away, two fries in tow.

   I glared at both Sam and Jazmyn. Hopefully I can tell this story without telling the rest of my friends about my mother’s pregnancy.

    Jazmyn simply smiled at me as she stuffed the fries in her mouth.

    “Pig,” Brixton said shaking his head as he himself stole another fry.

     “Guys!” I exclaimed as I put my hands around my fries protectively. “Get your own high cholesterol, fatty potatoes.”

    “When’s this dinner?” Lee asked as she pulled away the cover of her yoghurt cup.

    “Tomorrow night,” I replied.

     “Wait what?” Jazmyn exclaimed, her head snapping up to look at me, her hand frozen, a straw suspended over her juice box. “But that’s Saturday!”

     “Thank you for stating the obvious,” Brixton said chuckling as he sneakily stole a pretzel from Sam’s tray.

    “But I was gonna ask you guys to come over for a sleepover on Saturday!” Jazmyn whined as Sam snatched the pretzel back from Brixton as he lifted it towards his mouth.

    The others made noises of happiness at the news about a sleepover.

    “It’s fine,” I said waving my hand dismissively. “Don’t worry Jaz; I’ll come over after the dinner.”

    “Alright then,” Jaz said resuming the job of piercing her juice box, “You better come.”

    “Yes master,” I said jokingly, Jaz laughed.

     “Yay a sleepover,” Brixton enthused as he turned his attention to his own lunch tray which consisted of a yoghurt cup like Lee’s.

    “Exactly what I need after a very stressful week of AP classes,” Lee said wearily.

    “Ah, how it sucks to be a genius,” Sam said shaking her head in mock pity. Lee narrowed her eyes at Sam and tossed her crumpled up napkin at her, which fell before it even got near Sam.

    We all laughed at this pitiful throw while Lee just shrugged. We spent the rest of lunch discussing plans for the sleepover and when the bell finally rung Sam and Jaz groaned in unison.