Chapter One

SYDNEY

"Meg, you in position?" She asked through the pink walkie-talkie that Meg's seven-year-old sister let the older girls borrow.

"Yep Girly. You?" Megan asked back moments later, her voice sounding terrible due to the crackling of the walkie-talkies weak connection.

"Yeah, give me a second to double check the gear," Sydney answered briefly before turning to the black garbage bag that sat beside her on the forest ground. Shuffling the items in the bag around, she searched for the slingshot and counted up the fifteen balloons they packed.

Pulling her phone out of her back pocket she glanced at the time then checked for any calls from her sister.

"Syd, you ready yet Girly?"

Shoving her phone back into her back pocket, she retrieved the walkie-talkie off the dirt ground and held the black button on the side down before talking into it once again. "Yeah yeah. Are you?"

"Yep," Meg said popping the 'p'.

"Have you called and checked to make sure Em's at the car and ready for us?"

"That I have my young Padawan," Megan mocked. If Sydney was standing beside Meg she could already see her cocky smile and her thin finely defined purple eyebrow raised.

"Oh shut up. How does the lacrosse field look?"

Emmery and Megan had been Sydney's closest friends since their middle school years. Sydney considered their group rather tame, so doing this was out of the ordinary, but it was their last year in high school and Meg brought up the point they had never truly done anything daring in their 'high school career' as everyone liked to call these four years of tedious repetition of senseless classes.

So, trying to break the monotony of the high school days and leave a distinct memory in the girls last year together, they concocted a plan to harass the lacrosse team and get them a little smelly. The idea had originally stemmed from Meg's growing dislike for the jerks when a series of lacrosse members tormented their group since late middle school, and in high school the harassment only got worse.

The plan was to shoot off as many water balloons, which were filled with vinegar instead of water, that Sydney could before someone caught onto the trio. After that, Meg and her would take off running to the car in the school's parking lot where Emmery would be waiting for them in the car.

Sydney sat on the forest ground that spooned the lacrosse field. If she got caught in the forest she wouldn't 'technically' be on school grounds. But Sydney was confident that they weren't going to get caught...or at least planning not to. Nerves were starting to bite at her and Sydney was beginning to second guess about this whole plan.

'No, no. Come on Sydney do something spontaneous for once in your life. It's not like you will get in any serious trouble.'

Meg was keeping look out to make sure no one would be close enough to identify them. Meg had wanted to be the one to fire the vinegar filled balloons, but at Em's house they saw which of three could shoot the furthest: that happened to be Sydney. If anything, Meg was the worst performer of the three of them.

"Okay my Padawan. Are you ready?"

"I was born ready," Sydney answered her with renewed confidence.

Meg's chuckle broke through crackly. "Alright. Get off as many shots as you can before I call you and tell you to run as fast as that little ass of yours will let you, okay?"

"Yeah yeah, let's get this show on the road already," Sydney said before she lost her nerve.

Sydney jumped in place and letting her head roll back and forth from shoulder to shoulder then placed the walkie-talkie on the ground and picked up the large slingshot.