Chapter Six

MAT

He watched Jay out of the corner of his eye and saw him leaned against the lockers pretending not to be listening into his conversation with Sydney. Mat wasn't sure what Jay's problem was but it had him on high alert, especially with the stunt the girls pulled last night without Mat's knowledge or consent.

Sydney pulled out of his arms, "I'll tell you the rest later. Feel too out in the open right now." She turned her attention to her locker and spun in the combo with swift but delicate flicks of her fingers.

"After school?" Mat probbed, burying his hands in his pockets.

"Ugh, I am planning on popping into journalism and the editing lab later, if you want to come with..."

Frowning he shook his head, "I have club meeting from three to four thirty, I don't know how long you're going to be there cause I could join you after."

Almost repeating the same action he just did, "I don't plan on staying there too long, especially since I lost my phone and need to go looking in the lost and found for it, or with my luck it was out in the forest overnight."

"Sydney!" Emmery called out while trying to fix a pile of papers loaded on her pink and purple binder.

"Hey Em, you weren't waiting for us after class! How'd you're partnering go?" Sydney asked.

Mat took the time while the two girls were rehashing their class experiences to look back to Jay, only to find him gone, seemingly swept away in the crowd as if he had never been there.

After the two girls had told Mat this morning about the prank they pulled on the lacrosse guys last night, he felt fear expanding in his gut. He had no clue they were going to do that, while yes Mat had to admit that it was pretty damn funny especially after the videos that were spreading around school like wildfire, it also scared him out of his mind.

Mat would protect them at any cost because they were like his family to him when his family wasn't, but Mat knew that when the werewolves' from the lacrosse team found out that his friends had played the prank on them there would be hell to pay. Their egos mixed with their animalistic werewolf genes would likely make them stop at nothing to get their revenge on Sydney, Meg, and Emmery for humiliating them. Natural order was to never seem weak.

"Hey ladies, I gotta take a pee, be back in a few." Mat told the girls. The girls nodded barely acknowledging his leaving as they went on talking about some new Youtuber they were watching for photoshop tricks and tips.

Mat slipped through the crowd and into the men's restroom. He planted himself in front of the first clean looking urinal.

"-aven't found her yet." A familiar male voice spoke.

There was no answer to the man, but something struck Mat as familiar.

"I know, I know. Just give me a few days to find his mate."

Where have I heard that voice? He asked himself. He zipped up his jeans then bent over to see the person who was talking's shoe hiding in the stall. The scent of urine, stale water, and blech were blocking Mat's sense of smell.

"Watch it, brother, or have you forgotten your place?" A growl came from the stall.

He's werewolf, and apparently a high rank, but he wasn't Jaycen that's for sure. Mat couldn't pick up a hint of Jay's odor and it didn't resemble his alpha's deeper set voice anyways.

"I know I need to find her soon, everything will work out according to-."

More silence.

"Jaycen will learn the pa-" The voice was drowned out by a group of boys flooding the bathroom talking about some sports and other school related topics that Mat couldn't catch onto even as he was straining to focus on the mystery person's voice. Mat found himself pushed towards the door to make room for everyone else.