Chapter Seven

JAY

"What was that?" Terrence chuckled as Jay walked away from the spot where he was watching Sydney and Mat from as they huddled at their lockers and their other friend joined them shortly after.

A growled bubbled from Jay's throat at him. There was no way to salvage anything left of his dignity, being caught following the two, not just by them, but by Terrence and countless others as well. "Fuck off."

Not only was he caught by the two, he didn't even get a chance to hear the rest of their conversation because once Sydney and Mat had spotted Jay after his awkward pause and trying to play it off, Sydney had told Mat they would talk about it later.

Terrence still held a smirk on his face despite the bite in Jay's tone.

"It was nothing, just the omega trying to get under my skin."

"You sure? Cause it definitely looked like your eyes were more on the girl."

Jay decided not to answer, and when Terrence realized this, Jay saw him roll his eyes. "Fine don't tell me. Anyways did you hear the Coach is going to have the school launch an investigation into whatever the hell last night was?"

They walked down the crowded hallway of students now swarming from their first block to their second period classes.

'We need to handle this situation before it gets out of hand.'

Jay agreed. This was getting out of hand. Sydney. The lacrosse team. This supposed investigation.

"It's not that big of a deal. I'll tell Coach he's blowing this out of proportion."

That's not a very me thing to say. Jay thought to himself.

Apparently, Terrence thought so too by the side eye he was giving Jay, but once again Jay found himself refusing to meet it.

☽✣☾

A physical sigh of relief left Jay after stepping out of his final class for the day. Part of him was pleased to find that Sydney wasn't in any of his other classes either, but reluctantly, deep down, he knew there was a small piece that was mildly disappointed at not getting to see her beautiful golden hair or her haunting green eyes.

Jay had caught Mat looking at him several more occasions than usual. They shared advanced statistics together, but between that class and just passing by one and other in the hallway, the omega seemed to keep finding Jay and it was beginning to irk him and his wolf.

Subconsciously scanning the hallway, Jay found himself looking for Mat and Sydney. By the time he reached his locker though to grab his gym bag, he saw neither and realized sometime on the field was the perfect way to get his mind off of the escalating issues coming up left and right.

Here Jay thought life was already stressful enough, looking at life after high school but before he officially took over as alpha, and now he had what appeared to be a human mate, that he didn't even know if he wanted, and this turmoil with the team being pranked.

In the locker room Jay was greeted by his teammates, some of which were loyal packmates. A few guys locked hands with him and pulled him into a shoulder bump. He made his way to his tall locker and pressed open the lever to open it up. The team had always felt like a place Jay belonged. He appreciated the sense of comradery and how they supported him so much, that this was his second year being captain of the team.

'This is what it will be like when we finally step up as alpha.' His wolf spoke.

Jay squeezed onto the edge of his now open locker door.